• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can a work computer (PC)

Be set to not allow downloads to mobile phones via a USB cable? Mind you you can download the file to the work PC but not transfer it over a cable.

I know the answer is yes but I'm wondering how they did it.

^^^ That's how we do it. Group policy. I also get notified by machine if a connection is attempted. I'm not so concerned about anyone stealing information, but more about preventing any nasty bits of code making their way onto our network.

And if you're especially worried/paranoid, you can unplug the USBs from the USB headers on the motherboard, or just cut the cables. Not forgetting to use decent locks on the PC cases.
For the even more paranoid, fill the USB sockets with glue (hot melt glue guns work well - ask me how I know!).
O

Imon the opposite side of that @Davdi.
My job removed my access to those options.
I'm just a User; you know...
So you want to be able to take files from the computer and put them on your phone? And you're blocked from doing that via USB cable? Is that correct?

One word: AirDroid. There's no need to install anything on the computer; just use a web browser to connect to the phone.

I don't belong here, in a window$ thread, so if I've totally misconstrued things, just tell me to take a hike. :o :D

So you want to be able to take files from the computer and put them on your phone? And you're blocked from doing that via USB cable? Is that correct?

One word: AirDroid. There's no need to install anything on the computer; just use a web browser to connect to the phone.

I don't belong here, in a window$ thread, so if I've totally misconstrued things, just tell me to take a hike. :eek: :D

Something I've had with AirDroid, and it may affect its use here as @dontpanicbobby is in a work environment? Some WiFi does not allow devices to communicate directly with each other. Home WiFi is usually OK, but corporate, public, hotel, etc. WiFi often doesn't. AirDroid requires that devices and computers to be able to communicate directly with each other via the WiFi for direct transfers.

You'll know when you scan the AirDroid QR code...
airdroid.png

This was on hotel WiFi. and both my phone and Macbook were definitely connected to the same WiFi AP

AirDroid will still work if you do login to an AirDroid account, but any file transfers are uploaded to AirDroid's servers and then downloaded again to the other device or computer over the internet, and NOT directly device to computer.

Back
Top Bottom