• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can I just S-off without doing the HTC unlock procedure?

I'm getting my replacement phone tomorrow. With S-off, we can flash pretty much anything even when the bootloader is locked or would I have to first unlock it through HTC procedure?
The only way to get S-OFF without HTC unlock is to use the Revolutionary or hboot downgrade method, neither of which are supported on the Evo V since there is no GB RUU that has the correct firmware.

While the most recent version of the JuopunutBear controlbear.exe utility no longer requires root you still need to be on the RUU, which your phone should be when it arrives, and HTC unlocked as prerequisites.

When the wire trick is successful, the bootloader will return to the "locked" status and there's no need to unlock it again since a custom hboot gives you access to the same fastboot commands.

ramjet73

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
From my understanding, HTC unlock is just unlocking the bootloader. It allows you to flash different roms but not change to other hboots. S-off is the radio unlock allowing you to flash different radios and hboots.
That's pretty much true and here's a post with a more detailed explanation of what S-OFF buys you versus S-ON with an unlocked bootloader (hboot).

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Question ramjet, so if after you get Juonpunutbear S-off, it will flash the JBear 1.57 hboot masking the Locked status of your 1.57 stock hboot. What would happen if you want to downgrade to Jbear 1.50? Can you just flash the zip even with the stock hboot status as "locked"?

Can you downgrade or updgrade between hboots if you're S-off but with a Locked stock bootloader?

Upvote 0
Question ramjet, so if after you get Juonpunutbear S-off, it will flash the JBear 1.57 hboot masking the Locked status of your 1.57 stock hboot. What would happen if you want to downgrade to Jbear 1.50? Can you just flash the zip even with the stock hboot status as "locked"?
Yes, as long as you are S-OFF the locked/unlocked/relocked status of the current bootloader does not affect your ability to change hboots. My bootloader has been locked since I got S-OFF and I've flashed many different hboots since then.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Yes, as long as you are S-OFF the locked/unlocked/relocked status of the current bootloader does not affect your ability to change hboots. My bootloader has been locked since I got S-OFF and I've flashed many different hboots since then.

ramjet73

Does it affect anything else? Like changing just the radio? if not, I will skip the step to get my bootloader "unlocked" again after doing the S-off.

Upvote 0
Does it affect anything else? Like changing just the radio? if not, I will skip the step to get my bootloader "unlocked" again after doing the S-off.
Nope. The only thing that unlocking the bootloader does is enable the fastboot commands that you can access by flashing a custom hboot like JBear, Revolutionary or ENG instead.

ramjet73

Upvote 0

ramjet73

So once you unlock the bootloader long enough to run that stuff, are you saying you locked it back? If one has a recovery installed, and is S-OFF, are you saying there is really no need for an unlocked bootloader in day-to-day ROM-Hopping?

Does locking the bootloader back help in some way? Does it help prevent you from messing something up? Can you get into recovery with a locked bootloader?

Upvote 0
So once you unlock the bootloader long enough to run that stuff, are you saying you locked it back? If one has a recovery installed, and is S-OFF, are you saying there is really no need for an unlocked bootloader in day-to-day ROM-Hopping?

Does locking the bootloader back help in some way? Does it help prevent you from messing something up? Can you get into recovery with a locked bootloader?
The JuopunutBear wire trick process automatically sets the bootloader status back to "locked" and I haven't touched it after that since I prefer to use a custom hboot rather than unlock the stock bootloader.

I'll refer back to my prior post for your other question. Since unlocking the stock bootloader only allows some additional fastboot commands like "flash" and "boot" leaving it locked only prevents those commands unless you flash a custom hboot. There are no other effects from unlocking/locking the stock bootloader.

ramjet73

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones