• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can S5 handle today's apps?

JonML

Lurker
Hello,

I am considering getting an S5 because the price is right - as opposed to getting a new budget phone, like the BLU One Life X. Will the older S5 (which has similar RAM, storage as the One Life X) still be able to run today's apps given the older OS (or not be able to for any other reason)?

Thanks!

My Galaxy S5 is running the latest stock Marshmallow firmware from Samsung and there is no problem running any of the apps that have been updated for Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1. It is very doubtful that Samsung will release Android 7.0, Nougat for the S5 and you will need to root your phone and install a custom Nougat ROM when they become available.

ditto what IronAss says.

My S5 updated to MM a few days ago, and so far, I have only had one heart ache with it.

one app updated and changed from "free" to a monthly subscription.

I need to find the .apk that I have stored "somewhere", and delete the new app, and put the old one back on.

Will the older S5 (which has similar RAM, storage as the One Life X) still be able to run today's apps given the older OS (or not be able to for any other reason)?

I've had my S5 since it was first released and it continues to work well. One of the big pluses is you can change the battery which I've done a couple of times. It also runs Android 6.0.1 perfectly (Verizon version). So far I can't find a compelling reason to get a different phone.

Back
Top Bottom