• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Canadian Android 4.3 Update for I-747M Observations and Issues

Stuntman

Android Expert
The update started rolling out yesterday. I got mine last night. My first impression was that the phone seemed a bit smoother. Not sure if it is 4.3 or the fact that I just rebooted it. I'll have to see in a few days if it is still smooth.

The big issue I am having is with BlueTooth. It refused to connect with my car's audio system. I had to delete the setting in my car and readded it. After readding, I found that the track information was not showing up on my stereo's display while playing music. When I turned off the car and back on, the phone again did not connect with my car's BT audio. This is a serious issue as I listen to music from my phone whenever I'm in my car. Anyone else have this issue? I rebooted my phone and will try again the next time I start my car.

I noticed that my Volume Widget now displays larger text when I change sound profiles. Before, the text was very small like it wasn't scaled properly for the larger phone. The text is now similar to size compared to my old phone (HTC Desire Z).

The systems settings menu got reorganised. I actually like the new organisation more. I am able to find obscure things like split screen mode more easily.

Auto-brightness now has a brightness setting. Overall, it seems that by default the auto-brightness while indoors was too bright, so I turned it down. Then when I was driving to work with my GPS app, it seemed a little too dim, so I changed it back to default. I'll have to see over the next few days if I like it. I liked the old defaultl auto-brightness setting. The new one seemed to be calibrated differently.

The pattern lock screen has changed. The pattern of dots are now closer together. I had some issues unlocking it as the dots are in slightly different positions. I normally have the pattern not display. I turned the pattern display on and found that I was missing the first dot when I try to unlock it. After some practice, I got used to the slight change in position of the pattern dots.

I noticed some fonts changed. Bolded fonts were slightly more bolded and stood out more. Words in various apps seem to jump out at me more than before.

I had a weird issue with auto-rotate. I had it off while typing a message in G+. Then I turned it on so I can type in landscape and it would not rotate to landscape. It happened just once and not happening now.

All of my notifications were reset. I think it was due to some of my sound files being in the Media directory instead of my Notifications directory. Not sure what happened, but it worked before the update. In any case, I recreated many of my notification sounds. I use Talk-a-Droid and the TTS engine to create sound files for notifications. For instance, my email notification is the TTS sound file that says, "You have received email." I thought I'd update it with the latest Google TTS speech engine. Had to go through all of my apps with notifications again.

I lost all of my album covers. I had to download them again. The app I use finds most of them. For the ones it doesn't find automatically, I have to manually add them again. I started, but will have to spend some time later.

The only major issue is the BT connectivity. It's not working and impacts me a lot. If this doesn't work soon, I have to use my old phone with the FM transmitter to play my music which is not as good due to possible interference.

Any other Canadian SGS3 owners get the 4.3 update yet? What are your thoughts?

I also had an issue with my alarm this morning. Apparently, the alarm tone changed to a beep instead of playing my song. I missed the alarm this morning. I tested it again when I woke up and it seemed to be working fine. Not sure if it is a one of incident like the auto-rotate. Good thing I normally wake up around the time my alarm goes off.

It looks like I partially fixed the BlueTooth issue. I ended up rebooting my phone again and the BT music is playing. I'm using Rocket Player. The track information is still not showing. If I use the default music player, the track information shows up. I've reinstalled Rocket Player and will try it out later.

Another thing that is annoying is that S Calendar lost all of my notifications for events. All of my calendar events are still there, but all notifications are turned off. I had to re-add all of the notifications to all of my calendar events.

Reinstalling Rocket Player worked. I think I have resolved all of the issues with BlueTooth and everything else I came across the first day after the 4.3 update.

I must say that this was a rather frustrating experience. I had to do a lot of work after the update to get my phone working. I just feel that I should not need to reset all of my calendar notifications, album covers and other stuff. The time I spent was not trivial. It was hours of my time.

Anyway, I do notice an improvement in the smoothness of the UI. I'll see if it stays smooth after a week of use.

Back
Top Bottom