• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Captivate boot loop issue

linker

Lurker
Captivate, running stock Honeycomb.

About 2 days ago, my phone froze. When I restarted, it would go though the AT&T welcome animation, then immediately go to the Galaxy S shutdown animation and turn off.

I have tried all options in recovery mode.
I have downloaded and run Odin3 with the .pit/.tar files I could find online.
I ran Odin One Click.

Now when I start, my phone is in a boot loop to the AT&T World Phone screen. I can however, sitll get into download mode via button combo.

Can someone point me in the direction of some good current .pit/.tar files to use in Odin? Or any other suggestions. Just want to put my phone back to stock config.

Edit: Able to get 2.2 loaded and running with this Heimdall One Click http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1350266.

It's still very glitchy though, and phone now says that the internal SD card may be damaged, and needs to be reformated. When I try to reformat though, it doesn't seem to fix anything. I think I will try to upgrade back to Gingerbread, and see if that works.

Edit 2: Connected to Kies Mini. It read my device, and proceeded with upgrade to Gingerbread. Now phone will not boot past a black screen that reads Samsung Galaxy S SGH-i897. When I boot into recovery mode now, it goes to ClockworkMod Recovery.

Anything in Recovery to do with SD card fails. Formate, Mount, Partition.
I get something to the effect of....

E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p
Error mounting /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure
Skipping format....

Heimdall One Click recognizes the devise, and seems to do it's thing without error, but when finished the phone reboots into recovery mode. Odin will not recognize the phone now.

I think the Internal SD may be f 'd, or at least I don't know how to fix it.

Maybe time to start looking for a new phone. The Skyrocket or the new Razr look pretty sweet.....

Thanks for any help,

Appreciate your help. I followed the instructions, and didn't get any errors, however, still have the same issue. From what I've read, if it turns on, it's recoverable, so I'll keep trying.

Thanks,

Appreciate your help. I followed the instructions, and didn't get any errors, however, still have the same issue. From what I've read, if it turns on, it's recoverable, so I'll keep trying.

Thanks,

If you don't have any errors in recovery now, try to format your sd card via recovery and see if that works. If you still have problems try to flash a new firmware via Odin(recommended) or Heimdall.

Btw if you can get into download mode you can definately fix your device.

Read this too: Snappybytes: [HOW TO] Flash SGS and install custom ROM - FULL GUIDE

If Odin doesn't recognise your device follow the instruction in Step 1 (Alternative way) and read from 6 to 15.

I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom