• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Change Gmail address for Play store

wooky69

Android Enthusiast
Hi all. I'm wondering if its possible to change the Gmail address associated with my Play store account. I have purchased a few apps and have a credit card associated with it.

Its basically a silly address and receives a bit of spam, I'll soon be getting a new phone and would like to use a new email address but not loose all of my apps, contacts etc.

ETA I can see from googleing that its possible to add a second account but that seems a faff and I'll have to migrate all of my backups and data etc to the new account. I was hoping for a more elegant method.

Hi

The playstore account is associated with a gmail address, not the other way round, so the address can't be changed..

I would:

On the new phone create a new non silly gmail address (primary account on the device).
Then add your existing "silly" account to the phone. Your apps and contacts will then be available on the phone. New contacts and apps can be added to the new account.

Existing data in drive/calendar/tasks can be shared to your new account (or moved) from your old one. New data can be created in the new account.

In you phone settings you can disable email sync for your "silly" account so you dont get any more on that address. And, you could (using a PC) set up filters on your old account to divert any known wanted emails to your new gmail account.

Hope this helps

Roger

Back
Top Bottom