• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changing how apps are scrolled through?

Veronykah

Might be a stupid question but I am wondering if it is possible to change the way the N5 scrolls when you are in the app menu?
I've had an HTC for years and am thinking of getting an N5. Since so much of Android is customizable, I am wondering if I can change the app menu to a continuous scroll from top to bottom (think the beginning of Star Wars) instead of swipe to the side?

If you mean the app drawer, there are plenty of launchers that do that as a default or have it as a choice. I prefer side to side, but that's why there's more than one flavor of ice cream.

Just download a few launchers, see which one you prefer, uninstall the rest and scroll up and down.

I don't like the side to side either. I use Nova Launcher, pretty much gives you everything the stock launcher does and then some.

You will lose the "OK Google" and Google Now left home screen functionality though, but well worth it IMO.

I like Google Now so not currently using a launcher.

I would go back to Nova Launcher though if I did. It should have enough options for you to customise the App Draw as you wish:

Scroll Direction
Grid size
Folders

EDIT: Also well worth paying for the Prime update to this Launcher.

I like Google Now so not currently using a launcher.

Hi Martin, just curious as to why swiping up from the bottom to get to Google Now, as opposed to swipe left off the home screen is a big enough issue not to use a launcher? Unless you're referring to the "OK Google" functionality.

Hi Martin, just curious as to why swiping up from the bottom to get to Google Now, as opposed to swipe left off the home screen is a big enough issue not to use a launcher? Unless you're referring to the "OK Google" functionality.

I tend to hold my phone with the base sitting on my little finger, leaving my thumb near the middle of the screen. Swiping sideways just feels more natural than reaching to the bottom and then up.

I guess the other point would be that I've been pleased enough with the stock launcher not to bother with Nova so far.

I tend to hold my phone with the base sitting on my little finger, leaving my thumb near the middle of the screen. Swiping sideways just feels more natural than reaching to the bottom and then up.

Fair point, I tend to overlook that kind of thing as I have unnaturally large hands.

I guess the other point would be that I've been pleased enough with the stock launcher not to bother with Nova so far.

Yeah, I was impressed with the stock launcher. I ran with it for a week or so, but just couldn't live with the lack of icons on the home screens.

Now I've reverted back to Nova I've noticed all the other things that are really useful as well. Gestures, scrolling app drawer, removal of search bar etc.

And I can get a launcher without rooting or would I have to root?
I know it's sad, I'm still on Gingerbread.

Launchers can be installed from the play store and do not require root

However, this section of the forums is primarily for the nexus 5, which is running the latest android 4.4 kitkat.

Advice you see here may not apply to other android versions.

Back
Top Bottom