• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Class Action Lawsuit???

https://gigaom.com/2012/10/13/how-the-t-mobile-metropcs-merger-affects-consumers/

It would be nice if Metro gives CDMA device owner's a nice, deep discount on GSM devices.

I got my Spirit from Wirefly and Metro honored the rebate, so I've only invested $159, but still, what about the people that paid full price from Metro?

If Metro wants to retain their CDMA clients, they need to offer some deeeeep discounts for those of us that purchased CDMA phones. I walked into a dealer the other day and they are still selling the LG Spirit!

Otherwise, they are going to have a class-action lawsuit on their hands.

Are they going to replace my Spirit with a comparable phone for $159?
Or why should I even have to pay a penny if my device is working great?

The fact that mine still runs great and I have no reason to upgrade or buy a new phone and that I love my current device makes it worse.

Give me a refurbished Sammy S-3 GSM compatible model and we'll call it even.

Otherwise, I'm done with Metro. And will be looking to class-action lawsuit.
Merged ^ similar topic into this

Upvote 0
https://gigaom.com/2012/10/13/how-the-t-mobile-metropcs-merger-affects-consumers/

It would be nice if Metro gives CDMA device owner's a nice, deep discount on GSM devices.

I got my Spirit from Wirefly and Metro honored the rebate, so I've only invested $159, but still, what about the people that paid full price from Metro?

If Metro wants to retain their CDMA clients, they need to offer some deeeeep discounts for those of us that purchased CDMA phones. I walked into a dealer the other day and they are still selling the LG Spirit!

The fact that mine still runs great and I have no reason to upgrade or buy a new phone and that I love my current device makes it worse.

BETTA WATCH YO BACK METRO, BESTA LEARN TO SLEEP WITH ONE EYE OPEN.

loool

Upvote 0

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=843961 You can read about their trade in discounts there. The Spirit was released in February 2013 that's almost 4 months after the merger was announced and the details that the CDMA network was going to be shutdown too so I think that lawsuit would go nowhere on this one.

Upvote 0
Your right it doesn't really matter, but you have some really bad sources of information on this. I should just let it go because it doesn't really change the fact of where you are now.........but some nights I just have to indulge being "that guy" on the Internet, so here is what a little Googling reveals about the merger:

2012-05-10 Deutsche Telekom rumored to be considering merger of T-Mobile with MetroPCS

2012-10-03 PCMAG: T-Mobile Confirms Plans to Merge With MetroPCS

The following is information from the FCC timeline (this is public record all the way through):

Now looking at the T-Mobile merger page I do see that they do not begin operating as one company till May 1st, 2013. So you are correct with that - but the notion that you couldn't have known that the merger was happening before then is just completely wrong. It was announced in October, filed in October, had a shareholder lawsuit filed in October, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe you missed all that in the news but it was all public record.

As to your current problem, I'd get back on the phone and tell them what the corporate store said and how it differs from what you were told and speak with a supervisor about it. If they say you should be able to get a discount - then make arrangements with them so you can call them while your at the corporate and make them work it out. You might also want to look up senior management information on the T-mobile Investor Relations page and write letters (not email) to them (call even if you can).

I'd also find out what the deals they are offering in compensation to CDMA customers are. You very well might do just as well buying a used phone, or a Nexus 5, or MotoG and just take advantage of the BYOD plan and doing it now.

And as I mentioned before- there is always the ultimate option, switch carriers. MetrePCS isn't the only game in town and honestly may no longer be the best for you. Heck tell them your going to switch and see what they offer you.

You have to understand that most people never get this information because it's not something that is on their everyday radar......
What seems like something everyone should know to you,as be completely different to someone else, so don't be that guy on the Internet lol

Reactions: TRS-80
Upvote 0
You have to understand that most people never get this information because it's not something that is on their everyday radar......
What seems like something everyone should know to you,as be completely different to someone else, so don't be that guy on the Internet lol

whos it upto to get the information though. metro pcs isnt gonna knock on everyones door and say hi may i come in for tea and chat with you about something? they posted it all over there webpage,in stores, and everywhere else you could see. its up to the consumer to be educated on the product there buying also.

Reactions: MLSS
Upvote 0
whos it upto to get the information though. metro pcs isnt gonna knock on everyones door and say hi may i come in for tea and chat with you about something? they posted it all over there webpage,in stores, and everywhere else you could see. its up to the consumer to be educated on the product there buying also.

I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong. I'm just saying that the average person doesn't know or care what the difference between a CDMA device and GSM device. Should they? Yea, it would be beneficial to them as a consumer but then again we live in a world where most people just buy stuff cause it's shiny.........

In this particular case I don't see any fault with Metro, but I do feel for the OP.
I would have left Metro if it were me and I felt cheated or treated unfairly but that's just me.

I personally didn't know a whole lot about the differences until I started using Boost Mobile and bought a CDMA phone.
I am back to a gsm phone now as my every day driver (straight talk at&t).

Upvote 0
there in lays the problem. people just buy instinctively and when it doesnt do what they want or isnt what they thought its the companies fault when just a little research by the consumer would of solved the problem before it started. ive said it before the only industry where the customer feels entitled to whatever they want at whatever costs they want is the wireless industry. it cracks me up sometimes.

Upvote 0
Change is inevitable. If they decided to not make the switch to appease those that are unhappy, then they will be left behind in the race for the newest latest and greatest in cellphone technologies. And maybe it's just me, but I've never had one phone for 3 years. Technology keeps coming out making your phone "old" in months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones