• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CM11 and AOKP] A Guide On How to Get GOOD BATTERY LIFE!

Which version of Greenify do you use (if you have Greenify)?!

• Total voters

ricki13th

I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR DEVICE ALWAYS DO A FULL BACKUP OF YOUR DEVICE IN YOUR RESPECTIVE RECOVERY BEFORE MODIFYING IT.
Note: this guide is a simple but effective way of getting better battery life specifically on CM11 I know this because I have done all of the following and tested it for more than 24 hours with no issues. Also some of these tips can be applied to touchwiz as well.

Your a couple of steps away from getting awesome battery:

1. Start by turning off certain things the runs in the background that you aren't actively using such as Sync, Bluetooth, NFC, Location. Turn off mobile data when on WiFi and vice-versa.

2. In the WiFi settings turn off the option that says "Scanning always available" and make sure ''WiFi optimization" is on.

3. Enable performance and developer options by tapping on the build number in "About phone" several times till it says your "a developer".

4. Now go to performance and switch the "Profile" to "Power Saving"every time you reboot it will switch back Balanced (to make it stick permanently change the governor to ''Conservative" and hit set on boot) and next go to "I/O scheduler" and change it to "CFQ" and hit set on boot. Finally, head over to Memory management and select both ''Allow of the purging of assets'' and "Kernel Samplepage Merging"

5. Download: Xposed Installer and set it up then reboot. Now install Greenify: Free or Donated ($2.99) version through the Play Store. Go to modules in Xposed and check to box for it and reboot. In the app, go the experimental features and change from "rooted" version to "boosted". Hibernate user apps that you don't need working in the background. Note: you can also hibernate system apps but you must buy the donated version.

Disclaimer: BE CAREFUL IF... YOU HIBERNATE APPS ESPECIALLY SYSTEM APPS BECAUSE IT MIGHT CAUSE CORE FEATURES OF YOUR PHONE LIKE PUSH NOTIFICATIONS TO STOP WORKING!

6. Get "XBlast Tools" by searching for it in Xposed Installer, once installed enable it and reboot. Got to "Build.prop tweaks" setting and MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR BUILD PROP. Afterwards, go to "PM Sleep mode" and change it to"Power Collapse (Best)" go and check ''Google DNS Hack'' for faster WiFi speed (it does NOT have an impact on battery) and change the ''WiFi scan interval'' to "150".

Here is some proof of my improved battery life. Based on my battery stats, my phone is on par to get at the very least 5 hours of screen on time with all those changes I made:
Screenshot (01-09PM, May 23, 2015).png

instead of getting just shy of 4 hours of screen on time before.
That's all I have for now, but I may update this guide in the future. Thank you and dont forget to vote (Lol! I feel like a politician ;)) and Please your let me know what impact if any... did these tips had, whether positive or negative on your battery life/performance.

Credit to j03lpr86, dfuse06, Masterchief87, nextcode4u, and all the other devs out there that made things possible on this phone. :)

Last edited:
The "power save" profile just changes the cpu governor to conservative (if in the processor menu you have checked set at boot, it should stay that way, although I see no difference in power consumption between interactive and conservative, and lag can occur with cpu intensive apps and processes)

The "power save" profile just changes the cpu governor to conservative (if in the processor menu you have checked set at boot, it should stay that way, although I see no difference in power consumption between interactive and conservative, and lag can occur with cpu intensive apps and processes)

Changing that by itself wont do much of anything so you have to follow the whole guide to start see some real effects. With that being said If you want more balance with battery and performance then don't use Powersave. But all the other things I suggested should not negatively affect performance. I used powersave and enable the others options in settings>performance>memory management along with the other stuff and get good battery and performance.

Last edited:
I followed all of step 4 but Power Save still won't stick for me after reboot
Yeah you have to set it to Conservative and hit set on boot. And manually switch the profile to powersave after rebooting. Also uncheck "Enable Per-App Profiles". Otherwise, are you experiencing better battery life now?!

So I applied all these and I think my phone was last on 100% yesterday around 630 pm. It's now 601 am and my phone is on 17 percent. This works wonders and personally this ROM is already a daily driver. I haven't ran into an error yet that conflicts my daily natural phone using habits. To add with these battery tips, I'm getting better results all around vs stock ROM. Thanks for these tips man.

I inadvertently had most of these on before seeing this guide, and I can say that with Greenify, the performance options (minus power save and conservative profiles, kept those as they came), and the usual keep-what-you're-not-using-off thing, on wifi I got five and a half hours of screen on time. This was with moderate use, nothing too demanding running but I still used the phone.

I inadvertently had most of these on before seeing this guide, and I can say that with Greenify, the performance options (minus power save and conservative profiles, kept those as they came), and the usual keep-what-you're-not-using-off thing, on wifi I got five and a half hours of screen on time. This was with moderate use, nothing too demanding running but I still used the phone.

Yeah I actually average 5-6 hours of screen on time with these settings. I also average 850 MB of Ram when I clear all my recent apps.

Back
Top Bottom