• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help colors washing out in direct sunlight? anyone else?

JimKnuckles

Android Enthusiast
When having auto brightness on, in direct sunlight the colors on the screen wash out. I'm not sure if this is by design to make the screen easier to see? Or if it's a bug.

Anyone else's screen doing this?

When having auto brightness on, in direct sunlight the colors on the screen wash out. I'm not sure if this is by design to make the screen easier to see? Or if it's a bug.

Anyone else's screen doing this?

I think it's to make the screen easier to see. I noticed it the other day as I was walking in direct sunlight it became lighter than I was accustomed to. But when I walked into an area that sunlight wasn't present, it went back to its original state. I like it

One review I saw mentioned that they do this on purpose if you are on auto-brightness. Of course auto-brightness will go as high as 750 nits, so that is probably why things are washed out. Making an educated guess here as I don't have the N4 yet.

if its on purpose, I dont really deem it necessary. I would think there would be some kind of option to turn that off, although i haven't looked through the display settings in detail yet.

I'm surprised this wasnt mentioned in all of the reviews I watched...

It was mentioned in at least one review I read. However, without seeing it in person, I don't know how "bad" the issue is.

It was mentioned in at least one review I read. However, without seeing it in person, I don't know how "bad" the issue is.

+1

I read about that in two separate articles but I don't own a note 4 so I don't know what it looks like.

Okay... Was just wanting to make sure it was supposed to be doing that.

I didn't have a hard time seeing the screen before this new feature, but whatever its no big deal

^^^ Correct, turning off auto brightness turns off the super-bright capability. During the day I turn off auto-brightness on my phones and have brightness at full tilt. I will likely play with the auto-brightness in direct sunlight on the N4 (if I get one) just to see if the super-brightness capability is worth using or not. I can see times when it may be useful.

Back
Top Bottom