• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coming to MAXX HD from Droid X: Some prep questions

Marc_G

Hi folks,

I'm expecting delivery today of my HD MAXX. This will only be my second Android, replacing my trusty Droid X.

Couple "first time switching phones" questions:

1. I've got lots of stuff installed, about half of which I want to keep (including some paid apps) and the rest is baggage I can do without. Will the Play Store on the new phone show me everything installed on the old one and let me selectively install just the good stuff? Anything special to do for paid apps?

2. I got a Zagg invisishield to protect the X glass, and a hardshell case for the rest of it, and carry it around in a belt clip (yeah, geeky). Looks like Zagg is doing all-around protective films these days... what are you folks doing to protect your Maxx HD?

3. Anything else I should prep for before turning off the X for the last time and booting the HD?

Hey there Marc, lets see if i can help you answer some of these questions :)\

Hi folks,

I'm expecting delivery today of my HD MAXX. This will only be my second Android, replacing my trusty Droid X.

Couple "first time switching phones" questions:

1. I've got lots of stuff installed, about half of which I want to keep (including some paid apps) and the rest is baggage I can do without. Will the Play Store on the new phone show me everything installed on the old one and let me selectively install just the good stuff? Anything special to do for paid apps?

2. I got a Zagg invisishield to protect the X glass, and a hardshell case for the rest of it, and carry it around in a belt clip (yeah, geeky). Looks like Zagg is doing all-around protective films these days... what are you folks doing to protect your Maxx HD?

3. Anything else I should prep for before turning off the X for the last time and booting the HD?

1. Google Play will only show Paid apps when you log in to your new device, so you will have to find all the free apps again, but all paid apps will be kept.

2. I do not have a MAXX, but i have heard great things about the durability of Motorola phones in general, i would still probably suggest to get a case though, i have always been a fan of Speck cases. :)

3. Make sure all of your contacts are backed up with Gmail, if you have any music make sure it is backed up on Google Music. Otherwise enjoy your new device!

Hey there Marc, lets see if i can help you answer some of these questions :)\

1. Google Play will only show Paid apps when you log in to your new device, so you will have to find all the free apps again, but all paid apps will be kept.

2. I do not have a MAXX, but i have heard great things about the durability of Motorola phones in general, i would still probably suggest to get a case though, i have always been a fan of Speck cases. :)

3. Make sure all of your contacts are backed up with Gmail, if you have any music make sure it is backed up on Google Music. Otherwise enjoy your new device!

1) is incorrect..... On mine, I can go to the play store and hit menu-my apps-then scroll to the right where it says "all".... It shows every app I've ever downloaded, paid or not... Then I can just click the ones I want to install on the new phone. I've done this several times, I switch phones a lot.

2) I am using a screen protector I got from verizon... It's clear, fits good, and cheap... Also got the shell/holster combo from Verizon but I usually just use my pocket.

Yeah it shows every app ever downloaded unfortunately.

For me when I logged it, I checked the sync to my Google Account and it downloaded all the apps I had installed by itself. Be sure to log into wifi before signing into your GA because it starts immediately. Although I believe wifi is enabled by default.

No protection here. I'd recommend something for the back atleast, the kevlar isnt as grippy as I'd have hoped. I always have headphones plugged in and this jack is very tight so I'm not worried about it falling in my case though.

Me and my wife are happy with the silicon case from the verizon store. It is very lo-pro and provides(a little) shock protection if dropped. It is the shiny/slick case, not the rubbery lint magnet type.

Back
Top Bottom