• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root compiling JB

jarjar124

Android Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2012
NYC
so sources for JB were recently just released. someone alredy posted up a thread on how to compile JB heres the link. [Tutorial] Compile JB on Ubuntu - xda-developers
the thing i dont get is adding our device to the list. i cant find it on the github of cyanogenmod. do i have to do that if i already built a rom aka cm9 for our triumph? if i do can someone give me a link to the github of our device?

so sources for JB were recently just released. someone alredy posted up a thread on how to compile JB heres the link. [Tutorial] Compile JB on Ubuntu - xda-developers
the thing i dont get is adding our device to the list. i cant find it on the github of cyanogenmod. do i have to do that if i already built a rom aka cm9 for our triumph? if i do can someone give me a link to the github of our device?

jarjar,

You can download the CM9 device files from here

https://github.com/mantera/android_device_motorola_triumph
https://github.com/mantera/android_vendor_motorola_triumph

However it's not just as easy as downloading the device files and building JB. You will need to make extensive edits to the JB code and the device files as well to work for the Triumph.

Reactions: jarjar124
Upvote 0
Here's our device repo by mantera
and Im not going to go into all the details because that would take too long but there's the repo. You could get the device AND vendor repo at g60's github account but he's doing at lot of remodeling, so stuff on his account isn't always stable...or there.

Edit: Ninja'd and I forgot mantera has both repos; AND stable

Reactions: jarjar124
Upvote 0
jarjar,

You can download the CM9 device files from here

https://github.com/mantera/android_vendor_motorola_triumph

However it's not just as easy as downloading the device files and building JB. You will need to make extensive edits to the JB code and the device files as well to work for the Triumph.

may i ask wat would the extensive edits be? im sort of new and im downloading the sources now. ill let u guys know if anything. u guys helped a lot :D

Upvote 0
The edits could be anything; the code on mantera's repo is for ICS. And there's many changes in JB so when two codes(JB source and mantera's repos) don't work together. You'll have to make them work. This involves working with the java programming language and C/C++, since the errors can come up from either language in the source.

Upvote 0
The edits could be anything; the code on mantera's repo is for ICS. And there's many changes in JB so when two codes(JB source and mantera's repos) don't work together. You'll have to make them work. This involves working with the java programming language and C/C++, since the errors can come up from either language in the source.

dang, so i probably shouldnt do this yet since im not that great with java language and C/C++...unless u guys can help me? lol but im probably best staying away...

Upvote 0
dang, so i probably shouldnt do this yet since im not that great with java language and C/C++...unless u guys can help me? lol but im probably best staying away...

I would. It's going to take lots and lots of man/woman hours to get this to work. Also if you run over to google's forums for AOSP Jelly Bean they will tell you our device is not supported and tell you they can not assist you. I had the same issue with ICS when I was working on it for the triumph. Know that it can be done, it's just not going to be an easy task.

Upvote 0
Yeah if ICS still instead stable and working completely, or gingerbread for that matter, jelly bean is a pipe dream. Since jb is basically a reworked ics with some new features, we need to get ics working right before we get jelly bean. And ICS is looking pretty far fetched that it will ever be a fully useable rom. Plus our DEVS are leaving us!!

Upvote 0
Yeah if ICS still instead stable and working completely, or gingerbread for that matter, jelly bean is a pipe dream. Since jb is basically a reworked ics with some new features, we need to get ics working right before we get jelly bean. And ICS is looking pretty far fetched that it will ever be a fully useable rom. Plus our DEVS are leaving us!!

ICS is still possible, we just need to get the kernel ironed out for the camera (at least that's what it looks like). Also did you have any luck with the method for updating the kernel? Did you try out mantera's new kernel https://github.com/mantera/icschoc30-kernel and have any success?

Upvote 0
ICS is still possible, we just need to get the kernel ironed out for the camera (at least that's what it looks like). Also did you have any luck with the method for updating the kernel? Did you try out mantera's new kernel https://github.com/mantera/icschoc30-kernel and have any success?

I'm still sorting through the rejects from the patch file. Out if thousands of files updated about 90% had sections that failed so I have to through and manually patch in changes and sort everything out. I'm like halfway through but I'm up in the mach-msm section where alot of the triumph changes are and some of these files had hundreds of lines of failed patches to sort through! I'm making progress though.

But that kernel is the code Aurora ics chocolate branch from what I can tell, so it would need alot of triumph specific changes made in order for it to work in my opinion.

And everyone else may disagree with me but I don't think the camera problem is in the kernel. On tj's github his kernels have no changes to fix the camera that I'm aware of. He did post something in the hardware qcom camera repo that he made changes in there which is in the rom side of it. I feel its in the rom and not the kernel. There are 2.6.32 based kernels working on ics I'm pretty sure. That is just my two sense though!

Upvote 0
After looking at the kernel more it appears that he did an alright job at importing most if the Motorola changes. Ill have too look more when I can view it on my computer. Has anyone tried to build this?

If some one has built it, has anyone tried to boot it on any rom?

I have not but I can do it here in a few and get it built as I have the local source for the icschoc30-kernel. Give me a few and let me see what I can do.

Upvote 0
After looking at the kernel more it appears that he did an alright job at importing most if the Motorola changes. Ill have too look more when I can view it on my computer. Has anyone tried to build this?

If some one has built it, has anyone tried to boot it on any rom?

i could try,but im not sure how to build just the kernel....noob here :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones