• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connects wifi but no internet acsess

I got my motorola razr maxx a year ago and my hotspot never worked. Today I decided to find a solution and OMG I was lucky enough to find it after a couple hours searching the net.

Solution was in this same forum
http://androidforums.com/sony-erics...ant-access-internet-using-wifi-tethering.html

I copy paste the solution so everyone can enjoy it:

PROBLEM: you can connect to hotspot but not open any pages

SOLUTION: change the APN type to default,mms,dun

Instructions (by FrankieGenius)

I created a new Access Point and called it Tether (the name is irrelevant):-
Goto Settings->>Wireless & Networks->>Mobile Networks->>Access Point Names->>Click the left button->>choose 'New APN'
I copied all the settings from my original Access point (Rogers)
Then I changed the APN Type from "default,mms,supl" to "default,mms,dun" on the new APN
I then saved the new APN (this is important to ensure that the settings are saved).

Now I made the new APN current and set up my Portable WiFi Hotspot with security.
The first time it did not work.......so I switched of my phone and turned it back on again.
Made sure that my new APN was set to current and then set up my Portable WiFi Hotspot.

This time I had a gut feeling that it was going to work because I could see the 3G/H icon on my phone responding (i.e. upload/download arrows).

I then proceeded to connect to the Ipad and sure enough, this time it connected and I could use the internet. Brilliant!!!

Upvote 0
A few days ago I came home from work and my Razr was exhibiting this same issue. It would connect to my cisco/linksys router but the icon would stay white instead of blue indicating no internet connectivity. My laptop, wireless printer, xbox, android tablet and chromecast all connected fine. I reset things, unplugged things, forget the network, etc, etc, etc. Nothing worked. At work the next day, my droid had no problem connecting to my work wifi so I assumed it was just a router problem. That night I visited my exwife at her house and....lo and behold...my droid could NOT connect to her wifi either...same deal. Both of us have TimeWarner Cable and both of us have the same Cisco/Linksys router. Tonight I am purchasing a new router...something other then linksys...probably netgear...and will see if it makes a difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones