• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Constant slowdowns

Dignan17

Hello everyone! I'm an infrequent guest here, and I tried to search for an answer to my question but couldn't find anything.

I'm having a hell of a time with my 5X.

I love the phone when it works, but I'm constantly getting HORRIBLE slowdowns with it. It'll get to the point where I can barely unlock the phone. I'll try to close apps but the app switcher will take 30 seconds to launch, and then won't respond to swipes for 10 seconds or more at a time.

The worst symptom of my problem is my camera, which is essentially useless when it comes to taking photos of my toddler. I'll double-tap the power button and feel the vibration feedback immediately, then wait about 5 seconds for the screen to turn on and get a feed from the camera, then it'll take another 5-20 seconds for the shutter button to get that blue ring that means it's ready to snap a picture. And forget about swiping to video mode, which often crashes the entire camera app.

This is madness. Fortunately there's usually one decent solution: restart. But that's not a good ongoing solution. After a restart, it's usually less than 48 hours before the phone is unusable again.

Do you kind folks have any ideas? I don't know what app might be causing this, if it's an app. I've tried uninstalling as many non-essential apps as I can, but I don't have a clue what might be running in the background, and it looks like Marshmallow took the ability to see that in settings away.

Please help!

Sounds like a rogue app to me. You might be able to identify it by going to Settings .. Battery. That lists the apps that are using the most power which the rogue app may be. Tap the app to stop and disable it.

Unfortunately, that didn't work. Every time my phone slows down to a crawl, I've looked in there any it's usually only Google/Android stuff in there. Same for memory usage stats.

i see a similar problem but only when i use snapchat, then sometimes after it can be slow / bugy...

and as for the camera i have set az camera to be used for the dubble tap on power button , it works but i have to dubble tap then finger print then it works... which also is weird and i dont know how to go back to the normal camera!

If you go to AZ Camera in Settings>Apps and clear the defaults, I would think that will let you choose the Android camera as the app that responds to the power button.

It's possible that this is a rogue app at work, but I don't know how to tell which one it is. I don't use very many apps, and it never seems to happen when I use a certain one. It seems to be something that just happens all of a sudden. It happened again today and my phone just sat there for at least 60 seconds not doing anything while I waited for the app switcher to open so I could swipe some away. This is driving me nuts!

I guess it's possible it's two apps interacting badly ..

The only option would be to remove one of the apps then use the phone for a day or so to see if the problem recurs. If it does, remove another and try another day or so.

Eventually, you should get the phone working. You can then find a replacement for the last app you uninstalled and start adding back the other apps one at a time. Again if it the problems recur, remove the last app you added and find an alternative.

Long winded, but it should work.

I agree that that's a plan of attack, but it's extremely time consuming and not even very easy to do. I don't have hundreds of apps, but I do have quite a few. Going one by one would be a serious pain.

It just frustrates me that there are no tools on the phone that could help me identify a runaway app. When this happens, my phone slows to a completely unusable crawl, and I'm not exaggerating at all. Only a hard reset will work.

I guess I'll try some of the apps that are sort of designed to run in the background, like Dropbox, which I have backing up my photos. I uninstalled Facebook and only use the mobile site, so I can't blame that for once :)

Sounds like there's a developer opportunity there - even something that would show you the results of a top.

Maybe there's something out there ..?

but i find it weird that major company apps makes the phone do things like this!
Yeah of course if it was some small medium company trying something and failing it is much more acceptable... or at lest in my eyes it would be.

But when it comes to FB snapC and more, these should work like clock work!
is it something just with the nexus 5x or in android in general? im new to android so don't have something to compare too..

It's been documented a lot lately that the FB app is causing a lot of problems. People are finding significant improvements in phone performance and battery life by uninstalling or disabling the app.

Possible 5x purchaser here, any progress?

Tbh though I saw snapchat was mentioned and I can say from experience on multiple android devices that snapchat+android = problems.

When I don't take my meds, I think it's because snapchat is in cahoots with apple and they intentionally make their android version as crappy as they can because they know how badly guys want girlfriends and then they will get even more frustrated because girls have already been brainwashed to be iPhone only and use snapchat, so when guys go to snapchat and their phone keeps crashing and the girl is like "what's wrong?" The guys get embarrassed and frustrated and end up going iPhone.

We're talking about a company that hires spies and assassins while donating little to none of their millions in profit to charity.

Meanwhile at Microsoft, bill gates donates 50% of his annual income, Steve Jobs always said "donating is just a waste".

Go look at the snapchat reviews on playstore right now, got virtually the same issues on all kinds of android phones.

When I don't take my meds, I think it's because snapchat is in cahoots with apple and they intentionally make their android version as crappy as they can because they know how badly guys want girlfriends and then they will get even more frustrated because girls have already been brainwashed to be iPhone only and use snapchat, so when guys go to snapchat and their phone keeps crashing and the girl is like "what's wrong?" The guys get embarrassed and frustrated and end up going iPhone.

hahaha Well that made me laugh :) thanks sento!
Yeah i think it is something with android in general like you mention..

I think i know the issue with android vs IOS, as to enter a IOS app and have it a approved it requires a lot of boxes to be ticked, i don't think android is doing the same thing, thus meaning that programmers/ companies have to have an app that is fully complete to be qualified for IOS .. or at least thats a hunch i have! But im never going back to IOS lovin the Android even if i still dont understand it all haha

Nope! I still have the problem on a regular basis (every day or two), and haven't figured out a fix. I almost never have that much open, and closing things with the app switcher does nothing to fix the problem.

I can't count the number of times I've tried to take a video of something adorable my toddler is doing, and I'm standing there getting mad at my stupid phone for crashing when I try to switch to video mode. So now I haven't captured a precious memory AND I'm angry at my phone instead of having fun with my kid. Now, when I'm at home, I carry a point and shoot camera around like a chump. I think I'm switching to iPhone next time around.

One thing I've heard often on reddit is that if you restore your account to a 5x it will cause lag problems. But if you do a factor reset and install your apps the hard way, like when you first started using the play store, it alleviates a lot of the lag issues. I know it's no idea but you may want to try that.

I'm on the "Rogue app theory" Bandwagon....... Mine and my gf's 5x's are running great with fantastic battery life on both devices..... o_O

Back
Top Bottom