• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

cortexA9 vs tegra 3

so what are the 2 clock speeds that an s3 can clock at, i know on the advertising of the htc sensation is set at 1.2 ghz so what does it overclock or underclock itself to ?....wait...the sensation....does it run on s3 ?

EarlyMon...what devices do you have ? I dont recognise them...evo and shift i would presume are htc but 3vo ?...are you refering to the htc evo 3D ?

Upvote 0
I have an Evo 3D (aka 3vo) dual core S3, an Evo 4G, and an Evo Shift, all by HTC.

One model of the Sensation (VERY similar to my Evo 3D) is rated at 1.2GHz. Out of the box, that is the top speed for both cpu cores. Another version of the HTC Sensation is set to 1.5GHz, out of the box. All of the HTC dual core phones today use the exact same Qualcomm S3.

I have modified mine to run at the higher speed of 1.5GHz - and the two cpu cores only run at that speed when the tasks I am running demand that.

Sorry for the confusion caused by my slang.

Minimum speed of the S3 is typically 384 MHz, but you can configure many HTC models to go as low as 198 MHz.

Samsung uses the 1.2GHz Exynos or Tegra 2 in some SGS2 models, but also uses the 1.5GHz Qualcomm S3 (same as some Sensation variations) in other versions, and they still call that an SGS2 model.

This goes back to my earlier comment that the main thing is the overall device performance.

The processor is one important component, but it's not the only important component.

Samsung knows this. They vary the processor depending on region and carrier but I would say that regardless of that, you are still getting Samsung Galaxy S II quality in every case.

So other phones become differentiated by their other features.

I like the HTC software, I find it convenient. Others find it wasteful.

But once you buy high quality hardware, that's it. You have high quality hardware and with root modifications, you get more choices than what you get out of the box.

Android is all about choice.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
I have an Evo 3D (aka 3vo) dual core S3, an Evo 4G, and an Evo Shift, all by HTC.

One model of the Sensation (VERY similar to my Evo 3D) is rated at 1.2GHz. Out of the box, that is the top speed for both cpu cores. Another version of the HTC Sensation is set to 1.5GHz, out of the box. All of the HTC dual core phones today use the exact same Qualcomm S3.

I have modified mine to run at the higher speed of 1.5GHz - and the two cpu cores only run at that speed when the tasks I am running demand that.

Sorry for the confusion caused by my slang.

Minimum speed of the S3 is typically 384 MHz, but you can configure many HTC models to go as low as 198 MHz.

Samsung uses the 1.2GHz Exynos or Tegra 2 in some SGS2 models, but also uses the 1.5GHz Qualcomm S3 (same as some Sensation variations) in other versions, and they still call that an SGS2 model.

This goes back to my earlier comment that the main thing is the overall device performance.

The processor is one important component, but it's not the only important component.

Samsung knows this. They vary the processor depending on region and carrier but I would say that regardless of that, you are still getting Samsung Galaxy S II quality in every case.

So other phones become differentiated by their other features.

I like the HTC software, I find it convenient. Others find it wasteful.

But once you buy high quality hardware, that's it. You have high quality hardware and with root modifications, you get more choices than what you get out of the box.

Android is all about choice.

htc fan eh ?......me too :)

sense in my opinion is the greatest of all ui's
especialy sense 3....cant say much for 3.5 though. I hope they didnt remove that live weather wallpaper. Perhaps you have used sense 3.5 ?
Whats it like compared to 3 ?

Upvote 0

As an aside, you may find this kind of funny, but Samsung actually uses EVERY SOC in their Galaxy SII series.

GT-i9100 - This is your global Galaxy S2. It uses Exynos @ 1.2ghz.
GT-i9100G - Same phone as the above, but uses a 1.2ghz OMAP 4430. This was made for certain countries simply because the 9100 was selling too many models. It outpaced Samsung's expectations and they couldn't fabricate enough Exynos SOCs. This was a supplement to the 9100.
GT-i9103 - This is the Samsung Galaxy R. It's a "budget" Galaxy SII with an SLCD, weaker camera, and a bunch of other cheaper modifications. Uses Tegra 2 that Samsung claims is clocked at 1.2ghz, but it actually tops at 1008mhz in most cases.
Galaxy SII LTE - This is the Galaxy S II LTE (can't find the model number), and it uses the Snapdragon S3 @ 1.5ghz. This was because Exynos wasn't compatible with LTE radios at the time (nor HSPA+ 42mbps radios as well).

US carrier-branded handsets chose a base that worked for them. Sprint uses a modified i9100 with a larger screen, T-Mobile uses the S II LTE with a 42mbps HSPA+ radio in lieu of an LTE radio. AT&T uses the base model for their "Attain," the Snapdragon model for their Skyrocket with LTE, and Tegra 2 for their Captivate Glide (yea, AT&T has 3 SGS2 models!).

htc fan eh ?......me too :)

sense in my opinion is the greatest of all ui's
especialy sense 3....cant say much for 3.5 though. I hope they didnt remove that live weather wallpaper. Perhaps you have used sense 3.5 ?
Whats it like compared to 3 ?

I loved Sense on my Incredible and I've come to love TW even more on my SGS2. Each has its advantages, but TW has one advantage that Sense doesn't - the ability to get out of its own way. When you use an alternate launcher on Sense, it takes away some of the Sense-functionality as well (like the widgets). I hope it's fixed, but in my case, Sense's launcher (Rosie) would stay in memory and would constantly clear defaults so I'd have to re-select my launcher. For TW, you can still use every widget and feature without the launcher. Lastly, the TW web browser on the SGS2 is the best stock web browser on any Android device prior to the Galaxy Nexus, and I can prove this :) It uses a tiling method (similar to the iPhone, WP7, and Android 4.) which gives it an ultra smooth experience.

Upvote 0
Is there a 3rd party version of that browser, or a port of it?

Not that I'm aware of. However, the ICS stock browser is superior, IMO. You will get that with your 4.0 update unless HTC decides to just keep their current browser (which is based on the GB stock browser). I don't see HTC doing that, but if they do, they deserve to be taken out back and shot.

Upvote 0
you were speaaking about the clock speeds of the sensation.....so it can only do 300 and something or 1.2 Ghz or can it change to any nomber between that ? Or is it fixed at those two ?

It can do any speed it needs to. It can and will change up or down instantly (to our way of seeing things), between its rated minimum and maximum speeds. Only the maximum speed, as determined by the phone maker (not the chip maker) is ever published.

ALL modern smartphones (and most desk/laptops) operate this way. Not just the Sensation, but every model of every brand of currently made smartphones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones