• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cost to Frame a Basement?

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2011
Perhaps in the infinite wisdom of Android users, somebody can give me a rough estimate of the cost to frame my basement? Can an estimate be obtained with the linear footage? The square footage is difficult to measure because it will be irregularly shaped.

Here's some details:

It will have 225 linear feet of walls with mostly 8 foot ceilings. 5 outside corners. 12 inside corners. 6 doors. 3 small windows. We'll need to box in some duct work in one room (about 12 feet long x 3 feet wide x 1 foot deep). We'll also be framing out a bathroom.

I have solid estimates for plumbing, electric, HVAC...but I haven't been able to get a clear framing, nor sheetrock estimate.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Perhaps in the infinite wisdom of Android users, somebody can give me a rough estimate of the cost to frame my basement? Can an estimate be obtained with the linear footage? The square footage is difficult to measure because it will be irregularly shaped.

Here's some details:

It will have 225 linear feet of walls with mostly 8 foot ceilings. 5 outside corners. 12 inside corners. 6 doors. 3 small windows. We'll need to box in some duct work in one room (about 12 feet long x 3 feet wide x 1 foot deep). We'll also be framing out a bathroom.

I have solid estimates for plumbing, electric, HVAC...but I haven't been able to get a clear framing, nor sheetrock estimate.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Framing cost per LF will vary based on your location in the country. Also there's going to be a mark up because it's considered "remodeling" and not new construction. I used to have a cost estimating program for stuff like this, but I got tired of shelling out $2000 a year for the license.:(

My best advice is to go onto "Angies List" on line and find contractrs that are recommended in your area. :)

Also, unless you personally know the guys doing the work, cheaper isn't always better. ;)

Reactions: ouch1976
Upvote 0
You can get a rough idea for framing materials by figuring a stud per foot and two times the linear footage for plates. Labor will drastically depending on access, the amount of your personal belongings that have to be worked around, and the general degree of difficulty of the layout. I doubt you can get an estimate on a "remodel" without someone seeing and measuring your project.

I might suggest you contact your local Builder's Association. They will have a list of contractors and subcontractors in your area. There will be plenty of reputable contractors that aren't members of the association but you can pretty much count on getting people you can trust by going through the association.

Another avenue would be to contact one of your local lumber yards. If you intend on buying your materials there, they will be more than happy to recommend contractors that buy through them and are known for doing good work.

Best of luck to you and your project.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
For anyone interested, here's my story about finishing our basement.

The project was to add about 1,000 sq feet of living space, include a full bath, large bedroom, some storage, alot of high-hats/outlets, etc. We have 8 ft ceilings and it's all unfinished.

We received 3 written estimates for the whole job (framing, insulation, plumbing, electric, sheetrock, etc) from local contractors that were highly rated on Angie's List. Those estimates came in at $75k, $55k, and $45k. We also had a contractor friend come over and he said he could do it for $30k-35k. I was hoping to get the job done for less than $20k, so I was bummed.

But after debating it for a while, I've decided to act as the GC and subcontract the work myself. I have a great framer/sheetrocker that came as a referral. I posted an ad for an electrician on craigslist with the work desired and the price I wanted to pay. Within 24 hours I interviewed 3 guys and selected one. He was able to start within 48 hours. The plumbing was a big mistake because I picked a guy that did minor work for us previously so I threw him a bone and had his start the work. But he messed up the job. But that was my fault for giving the guy a second chance. But even bringing in a second plumber didn't push us up too much.

The job is 3/4 of the way done (framed, electric all done, plumbing roughed, sheetrocked) and it should run us over $20k but less than $25k. We didn't use top of the line stuff, but we didn't use the cheap stuff either. And although the cost is above our expectation, it's way below paying a contractor to do. And it's surprisingly easy.

So if you're looking to finish your basement, I strongly suggest avoiding a GC and subcontract the work yourself. You could save a bundle...

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I'm glad it is working out well for you. That space will be enjoyed I'm sure. I bet you are getting anxious to have it completed. I'm happy to hear that being your own GC has worked out for you and you enjoyed the experience. It's a learning experience and I'm certain you gained from handling your own project. It's fun to have the say on every part of what's happening in one's own home. There are some that don't have the time or desire to run their own job. There enters the GC who will touch your project for ten to fifteen percent to be the go to guy for all of the subs. He no doubt earns his wages just as you earned your savings. I'm glad it all worked out for you. Now when complete... we need pics. :)

Reactions: ouch1976
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones