• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Could An Android Tablet Replace My Laptop?

Stuntman;[URL="tel:4450584" said:
4450584[/URL]]Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. I may try it out later this week.

The Atrix and laptop dock really caught my interest when it first came out. I had just bought a new phone shortly before this came out, so I did not purchase it. After some thought and some experience with my phone, I feel that this is not the option for me. The reason is that I think the phone needs to be an independent device if you receive a call. I know you can put the call on speaker, but sometimes you want that privacy. Not sure how the Atrix handles it. I know you can answer the call while docked, but I think you have to undock to take the call. Then you wouldn't be able to use the dock if you are working on some file on your phone.

I prefer the concept of a laptop dock for a tablet. I think it is better to have a phone as one mobile device and then the second device is a tablet. The tablet would dock into a laptop/desktop dock accessory that provides a full-sized keyboard and larger monitor. When you are on the go, you undock your tablet and now have a compact device to take with you.

Actually, taking phone calls in private is really easy. You can undock the phone and use the head set, but as you said, you will be left with using the phone screen to work on. I use a bluethooth so I can make or take phone calls. Also, I can use either wired or bluethooth head phones to listen to my music privately.

Upvote 0
System0;[URL="tel:[URL="tel:4449503" said:
4449503[/URL]"]4449503[/URL]]I was curious about the whole lapdock thing. The Asus padfone but it seems to have a lot of limitations. On cNet the point out that you can't use some aspects of the phone such as whatsapp etc when the phone is docked. Plus the whole thing weights 1.5kg (my 12" laptop is only 1.2kg in comparison). I do like the way this is all heading though.

A phone that worked with a tablet/laptop windows 8 hybrid would be awesome :)

P_500.jpg

I like that. I could be wrong, but it looks like the weight you mentioned is for the tablet its self, without the keyboard. If that is true, then it would be as heavy or heavier then the Lapdock which has a keyboard and 3 cell battery. Another thing to consider with a tablet, if you use a seperate keyboard, you most likely will have a case to hold both together, which would add bulk and weight. I'm not hating, just thought I'd mention it since no one else has. I think tablets are great, just not for me. That's all.

Edited: I have over 200 apps on my phone, even though I haven't tried to run all of them, the ones I use everyday and on occasions do work. You just have to use the mouse pointer as if it was your finger.

Upvote 0
I like that. I could be wrong, but it looks like the weight you mentioned is for the tablet its self, without the keyboard. If that is true, then it would be as heavy or heavier then the Lapdock which has a keyboard and 3 cell battery. Another thing to consider with a tablet, if you use a seperate keyboard, you most likely will have a case to hold both together, which would add bulk and weight. I'm not hating, just thought I'd mention it since no one else has. I think tablets are great, just not for me. That's all.

Edited: I have over 200 apps on my phone, even though I haven't tried to run all of them, the ones I use everyday and on occasions do work. You just have to use the mouse pointer as if it was your finger.

One of the comments in the cNet review was that the phone, tablet and dock weighed more than buying the devices seperately (i.e. phone+laptop or phone+tablet+keyboard).

I like this kind of idea though and I appreciate companies like Asus that are trying something different and not just going down the tried and tested route that everyone else was. They were the first company to make netbooks affordable and are one of the driving forces behind Android tablets too so kudos to them (though I'm biased as I've bought a lot of Asus products and have not had any problems with them).

Upvote 0
I like this kind of idea though and I appreciate companies like Asus that are trying something different and not just going down the tried and tested route that everyone else was. They were the first company to make netbooks affordable and are one of the driving forces behind Android tablets too so kudos to them (though I'm biased as I've bought a lot of Asus products and have not had any problems with them).

I am impressed with Asus as well. When I was shopping for a tablet last year, I felt that Asus really stood out amongst all of the Android tablet makers with their Eee Pad Transformer. Most of the other Android tablets seemed rather similar to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones