• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Coupla questions from samsung newbie.

weiden1

Lurker
I have had my samsung for several days. Thanks in advance for any help:

1. Is there anyway to turn off the sound that tablet makes when turning on??

2. Is there a way to have the apps displayed in alphabetical order?? As I add apps they just go to the end of the last page. Then I have to move them and I don't like "random" order.

3. What is the purpose of "Widgets"?

If you are using KitKat 4.4.2 ?!

1- Press "Settings/Sound" and select "screen lock sound"

2- Open app drawer and press the bottom left button "Menu" and select "view type"

3- Widgets are enhanced shortcuts to access apps quickly.
Some widgets are capable to offer more specific functionality than the app itself...
Example:
"The weather widget on the main screen"

If you are using KitKat 4.4.2 ?!

1- Press "Settings/Sound" and select "screen lock sound"

2- Open app drawer and press the bottom left button "Menu" and select "view type"

3- Widgets are enhanced shortcuts to access apps quickly.
Some widgets are capable to offer more specific functionality than the app itself...
Example:
"The weather widget on the main screen"

Yes I am using 4.4.2. Here is where I'm at:

1 - The tablet plays the on sound when "screen lock sound" is checked or unchecked. I have nothing checked under settings/sound and it still plays the tune when turning on. Hummmm.

2 - Got the apps in alphabetical order - much better than random order. Thank you.

3 - So the icons on the bottom of the home screen are widgets?? What are the things listed on the Widgets page with the markings 1X1, 2X2, 4X1, 3X1. Tapping them does nothing but I guess you can drag them somewhere. So far I see no use for them. ???

I did think of something else. Is it possible to put App Icons in a folder on the app page?? There are lots of icons I probably will not use and would like them all together in a folder.

Thanks your help and patience.

I googled the topic of creating a folder for little used app icons. Found an article by Dam Gookin from "Samsung Galaxy Tabs For Dummies" that answered my question. Have already cleaned up/reduced the number of app. pages

1 - The tablet plays the on sound when "screen lock sound" is checked or unchecked. I have nothing checked under settings/sound and it still plays the tune when turning on. Hummmm.

3 - So the icons on the bottom of the home screen are widgets?? What are the things listed on the Widgets page with the markings 1X1, 2X2, 4X1, 3X1. Tapping them does nothing but I guess you can drag them somewhere. So far I see no use for them. ???

1- That is strange... maybe something not working correctly?!

3- The icons on the home screen are shortcuts of the apps in the drawer.

The widgets in other hand have more functionality.
Example: "Weather widget".

Just select any widget and long press the icon,
And the widget will be positioned in the home screen...
;) The more you experiment with it, and the more you learn.

I googled the topic of creating a folder for little used app icons. Found an article by Dam Gookin from "Samsung Galaxy Tabs For Dummies" that answered my question. Have already cleaned up/reduced the number of app. pages
Yep!
:) Google search is your best friend!

The startup sound that plays over the Samsung splash screen is annoying. I have noticed that mine doesn't play the sound when the device audio is muted. Same with the camera's shutter sound.

Back
Top Bottom