• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cricket $55 Muve Plan has Limited Unlimited data?

TampaShooters

Apr 11, 2010
I just bought the Samsung Vitality on HSN for $99 and it comes with two months of $55 service. I haven't gotten it yet, and am debating on returning it due to the different data details as shown below.

On the HSN website is says;
Unlimited 3G mobile data
http://electronics.hsn.com/samsung-...ansactional-_-EMSHIPWEB201112-_-purchaseditem

On the Cricket website is says;
"3G mobile data (unlimited)"

Then when you highlight that a pop up box says;
"Unlimited 3G data includes 600mb of full speed data."

Then when you click on the view plan details button just below the plan description is says;
"up to 500MB of data available at 3G speeds."

Cell Phone Plans | Compare Cell Phone Plans | Cricket Wireless

I am so confused. So I went on the website three times and chatted with three reps, and none could explain it, and gave contradictory answers when pressed.

Anyone have the plan and know...

One thing that I know for sure: there are no unlimited data plans from Cricket. Which plans are available to you seem to be based on where you live. If you live in a Cricket "home" area like I am, the $55 smartphone plan has unlimited minutes, text, and 1GB of 3G at full speed before they throttle you. (they don't cut you off, they just slow it down, that's how they get away with saying unlimited.) For that + the Muve music is $65. For people in other areas, $55 gets 1000 minutes, Muve, and less data, I'm not sure how much, I thought it was only like 250mb. Really, if you don't get at least 1GB, I don't think it's worth it unless you plan on using wifi most of the time. Though even after they throttle you, you can still browse the internet no problem, just YouTube and stuff will freeze up all the time and downloading anything will take forever.

Upvote 0
One thing that I know for sure: there are no unlimited data plans from Cricket. Which plans are available to you seem to be based on where you live. If you live in a Cricket "home" area like I am, the $55 smartphone plan has unlimited minutes, text, and 1GB of 3G at full speed before they throttle you. (they don't cut you off, they just slow it down, that's how they get away with saying unlimited.) For that + the Muve music is $65. For people in other areas, $55 gets 1000 minutes, Muve, and less data, I'm not sure how much, I thought it was only like 250mb. Really, if you don't get at least 1GB, I don't think it's worth it unless you plan on using wifi most of the time. Though even after they throttle you, you can still browse the internet no problem, just YouTube and stuff will freeze up all the time and downloading anything will take forever.

Does the Muve music downloads count against your data cap?

Upvote 0
Does the Muve music downloads count against your data cap?
I'm not sure, I don't have Muve. They do say unlimited music downloads, but you can only use it with 3g, not wifi. So I don't know if they keep that data separate somehow. I would be interested to find out. Really, if you got the phone for $99 with two months of service, that's not a bad deal. It's supposed to be a pretty good phone. You could get a bunch of music and still probably sell the phone for close to that much.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure, I don't have Muve. They do say unlimited music downloads, but you can only use it with 3g, not wifi. So I don't know if they keep that data separate somehow. I would be interested to find out. Really, if you got the phone for $99 with two months of service, that's not a bad deal. It's supposed to be a pretty good phone. You could get a bunch of music and still probably sell the phone for close to that much.

OK, thanks. I'm going to try it out and if i don't like it HSN offer a 100% refund within 30 days even if you use the whole months worth of calling and data! I couldn't beat that either.

Upvote 0
Well, I got it yesterday evening... HSN is fast...

1. It was not ready to go out of the box as HSN proudly proclaimed. A call to the HSN/Cricket wireless center met with "Sorry, due to the holiday, your phone may take up to 48 hours to activate" click!
2. Phone is actually decent, but thick.
3. I could not put any of my songs or data on the MicroSD card, either through the phone USB cord or an SD adapter, it locked up every time.
4. The second months $55 card does not come with it as shown on TV, you have to call after 1/20/12 and provide your info to get the PIN... They sold nearly 20,000 of these, so I can see a huge problem with everyone calling after 1/20/12 to get their new PIN #.
5. Phone box PROUDLY PROCLAIMS;

SMARTPHONE $55/mo
RATE PLAN INCLUDES;

MUSIC - Unlimited Song downloads, Ringtones, Ringback Tones
CALLING - 1000 US Minutes
MESSAGING - Unlimited Text, Picture, Video
MORE FEATURES - Unlimited 3G Mobile Data

Then the next line;
Unlimited 3G mobile data includes 500mb of full speed data; additional data is available at reduced speeds...

Apparently they don't understand what UNLIMITED 3G means, and that is the most important thing to me... Data... So, it's going back....

Upvote 0
Hey I know it's old but I thought I'd make sure it was clear. It IS unlimited data, in as much as you can download as much as you want all month long. The catch is that they only give you a certain amount of data at the "fast" 3g speed. After that they throttle you. However since you are still downloading you can still download. They did not stop you, so the you can download from sunup to sundown every day and still have access. It will just be horribly slow. Go with a company that has unlimited 4G like Simple Mobile or someone else.

Always remember, The Large Print Giveth, and the Small Print Taketh away :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones