• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Customized Contact List

diabsoule

Lurker
I use Google to manage my contacts. On my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 before Android 9.0 I could display a customized list of contacts. I have contact in groups so before I could select groups to display. Now I cannot find that feature. Did it get removed?

I’m using the stock Samsung contacts app . Galaxy note 9. Stock T-Mobile variant.

Open the contacts, to the left there are 3 vertical lines. Tap that.

Yes that will show me a list of all my groups. But I use to be able to go in to settings and select which groups show in my contacts and which groups I would like to hide. Then my contact list would just be the groups I choose to show and I wouldn't have to click on groups to find contacts.

I understand where the groups are. But my issue is how do I select multiple groups so that they always show up as my default list of contacts that show up in my contacts list without having to go into a specific group every time I want to see certain contacts.

Only being able to view one group at a time (or "tags" as Google call them) is a feature of the Google Contacts app. I know that Samsung adopted some other Google ways of doing things rather than their own in Android 8, so wonder whether they've done something similar here.

Hope not: I've always thought that was one of the weaknesses of the Google app.

Ok then it seems that feature has been removed or forgotten in this latest version of the Samsung contacts app. Ive looked at all the ways you can setup the contacts and Ive not been able to see where you can JUST select only certain contacts you want to see.

It’s easy for me to just go into contacts , tap on the 3 vertical lines and then select the groups I want to see.

Perhaps you can go in and edit contacts so they appear in certain “groups” (i.e emergency, personal, work, poker club, etc...) then you can just tap the group you want.

I vaguely recall doing what you mention on older android OS.. maybe this is Samsung's way off improving the contacts app, but from what I see i think wha your asking is currently not available.

Back
Top Bottom