• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CWM & TWRP on same device???

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2011
Sorry for a relatively newbie question, but are CWM and TWRP mutually exclusive? In other words, if you have CWM installed, and then you install TWRP, can you get back into CWM without "uninstalling" TWRP? And if you installed TWRP last, would you need to re-install CWM or would it be sufficient to just delete the TWRP folder from your device? I assume whichever recovery was installed last will overwrite the previous version, but I'm not positive how it works. Any insight would be appreciated...

OK. Last question...how much information is included in a recovery backup (either TWRP or CWM? Are all your passwords stored? Is there any activation process after reloaded a backup?

The NANdroid backup is literally everything. It is a carbon copy of your phone. If I got my hands on it, and restored it to my phone, I would have your phone now. It is difficult to decipher on it's own, but with a compatible phone, it can cause trouble.

That being said, there's little risk. I don't think there's any way of knowing what type of phone you have, and restoring a NANdroid which isn't compatible is grounds for a brick. I don't worry about keeping my backups on SD card or on the cloud personally.

Upvote 0
Wow...that's pretty dangerous...
But if this wasn't the case, the nandroid wouldn't be doing the job it is intended to do.

It's no more dangerous than selling a phone without wiping it first. And if you included your SD card with the phone you'd presumably wipe your photos, music and other personal files off it first, so any backups (nandroid or app/data/sms) are just the same.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones