• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dart board decision (really, about a dart board)

Vicegrips

Lurker
I am the happy owner of a Gran Board 3 electronic, bluetooth connected, app driven dartboard. Love it. Currently running the official app from Luxza from the app store on my low end Alcatel phone. I want a big fat display and speakers (spare TV and powered external speakers already on the shelf), and I'd rather dedicate a box than use my phone. That way others can play when I'm not there. Can any "android box" do the job or must I start scrounging for a big tablet with BT4 and hdmi? Hoping to spend the money on darts and beer, not a fancy tablet display that nobody's going to look at with a 40" mounted above...

I'm looking for hardware that will:
- run the official Gran Board app (needs any recent Android, bluetooth 4 is a must) my nexus tablet runs the app, but BT too old
- video out hdmi to a spare TV I can dedicate to this application
- all the standard basic android apps
- spare TV is output only, so could I use a wireless trackball or some such for input?

Would be nice:
- cast to a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (my old nexus tablet does this fine)
- will magically work with my beloved Logitech wireless trackball/usb device. (ha!)

So you want a dartboard with a camera to record players throws and display them under the board or over? Using phones cuts into talking s... time. :thinking:

Thanks for the reply!

I have the dartboard, a Gran Board 3. The game software that manages players, keeps score of throws at the dartboard, tracks the game, whose turn, etc are all controlled by an existing app (versions for both android and ios). Online play against others with the same board worldwide is working fine. All good so far.

The only device I have that runs this app properly is my phone. My tablet is too old to have bluetooth 4, which the dartboard uses. I have a spare TV with hdmi input available to use as a big display. Also available is a Microsoft Wireless Display adapter, which I can cast video/audio to with my tablet, but not my phone.

So what I need is a device that will run the Gran Board app from the play store, and allow me to use a big monitor so everyone can watch. Perhaps a cheap android phone that will cast to my display? Perhaps a Raspberry Pi 3? I'm going to leave this equipment permanently connected so people can play even when I don't want to leave my phone there.

Safe travels!

Honest score keeping is a plus. For my next smartdartboard I'd like something that can record my throw from my hand. A front facing camera on the dartboard maybe?
Then watch replays on my phone.

I was just talking to my da about getting a new dart board, he told me to soak it in water, I said to him what the hell are you smoking!!:eek: Has anybody heard of this before, if so please tell me what hell he is on about. He said it will last longer and i could just not agree.

You NEVER soak a dart board. I've played steel tipped darts for 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom