• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dealing with Wireless issues

zoxxo

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2010
Issaquah, WA
I'm posting this in the hopes it will help someone else out...

For a while now I've been dealing with a phantom duplicate SSID on my wireless network at home. It has the same SSID as my primary wireless network, but thankfully on a different channel. I never noticed it until I got my Android and started to play with Wi-Fi Analyzer (great app), and after I installed a Roku box in the house. I did notice for a while now that my Android and a Apple iTouch were having problems holding a connection, and I finally decided to something about it.

I think I watch too much TV and movies, because I was starting to wonder if a nefarious government agency had snuck into my house and installed a secret internet device without my knowledge. After spending time with Wi-Fi analyzer, I discovered that my PS3 was configured for PSP remote play and that I had mistakenly configured the settings with the same SSID and password. Everything I've read online states that you can

You might also see this if you have a dual channel router, either a router that can broadcast on 2.4 & 5 ghz frequencies, or only on 2.4ghz but over two channels for increased speed.

Only if your client device(s) has 5GHz capability as well. Most laptops do not and no handheld devices I know of don't have the 5GHz band either.

5GHz would be great for heavy streaming video/TV/multimedia internally on your LAN. It would keep the 2.4GHz band for everything else. As far as anything on the net, 5GHz is not helpful and limited by your connection speed. Saying that, my single band 2.4GHz has yet to bottleneck anything I put it though.

Upvote 0
Only if your client device(s) has 5GHz capability as well. Most laptops do not and no handheld devices I know of don't have the 5GHz band either.

5GHz would be great for heavy streaming video/TV/multimedia internally on your LAN. It would keep the 2.4GHz band for everything else. As far as anything on the net, 5GHz is not helpful and limited by your connection speed. Saying that, my single band 2.4GHz has yet to bottleneck anything I put it though.

Yup, but someone might set their router up to broadcast on 5ghz by accident, then wonder why they have two SSID's showing. That or possibly not even realise that their device does 5ghz to begin with. I'm well aware that 5ghz is not widely used domestically and when it is its probably hardcore gamers using it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones