• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire Memory

WozzaTT

Jun 12, 2010
Hi - quick question, first post!

I don't particularly understand the memory capacity on these smartphones, except that to my mind the iphone seems to have a lot more?

Is it possible to store a reasonably large amount of mp3 files and pictures on the phone? I've got quite a few photos and a lot of music on my PC which I'd like to have on the phone, the photos in any event.

TIA

Hi - quick question, first post!

I don't particularly understand the memory capacity on these smartphones, except that to my mind the iphone seems to have a lot more?

Is it possible to store a reasonably large amount of mp3 files and pictures on the phone? I've got quite a few photos and a lot of music on my PC which I'd like to have on the phone, the photos in any event.

TIA

You're better off storing music and pics on your SD card, as internal phone memory is somewhat at a premium, and is all you can save apps to at the moment (unless you root your phone, which I wouldn't recommend). :cool:

Reactions: WozzaTT
Upvote 0
Cheers fellas. So what memory do you get with the SD card that comes with the phone and roughly how many photos can you store on it?

Do people generally buy SD cards with a bigger memory?

The phone comes with 512MB of ROM and I believe it comes with a 4GB Micro-SD, but I'm not 100% sure...

The number of photos you can store on this depends on the photos. If you use the phone's camera, which is 5MP, it will produce 5MB files. If you put your own photos on, you'll have to check how big they are...

Here's some links to Micro-SDs on Amazon:
8GB
16GB
32GB

These are all Class 2 speed cards, which mean that they will have speeds of between 2MB/s and 4MB/s. You can look around for Class 4/6 cards if you like, which will provide faster speeds, but will be quite a bit more expensive.

Reactions: WozzaTT
Upvote 0
First post also as the Desire is on the way (T-mobile suggest about a week)

Want to get my music over from an ipod touch straight away so 16gb probably best (cant afford 32 really - unless thteres cheap deals out there).

however, is the class really that important - I think i read in the new user post to go for class six but they are quite a bit more money I believe - is it a speed thing?

cheers and thanks for these posts and new user tips thread as it's going to be my first android phone, I am sure I'll be here a lot!
Matt

Upvote 0
The phone comes with 512MB of ROM and I believe it comes with a 4GB Micro-SD, but I'm not 100% sure...

The number of photos you can store on this depends on the photos. If you use the phone's camera, which is 5MP, it will produce 5MB files. If you put your own photos on, you'll have to check how big they are...

Here's some links to Micro-SDs on Amazon:
8GB
16GB
32GB

These are all Class 2 speed cards, which mean that they will have speeds of between 2MB/s and 4MB/s. You can look around for Class 4/6 cards if you like, which will provide faster speeds, but will be quite a bit more expensive.

Thanks Jammy. Looks like some money needs to be spent to get the Desire some decent memory then.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones