• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Device only" location not working on Moto G

A

Android Question

I have a Moto G first generation with Android 5.1.
I have installed a GPS spoofer as a system app, and now when I set the Location Mode to "Device only" (Use GPS to determine your location) the phone is unable to detect any location. I've tried to download GPS Status & Toolbox, and the GPS does not seem to be answering.
What can I do? Thanks

I have a Moto G first generation with Android 5.1.
I have installed a GPS spoofer as a system app, and now when I set the Location Mode to "Device only" (Use GPS to determine your location) the phone is unable to detect any location. I've tried to download GPS Status & Toolbox, and the GPS does not seem to be answering.
What can I do? Thanks

You sabotaged your hardware's ability to naturally detect your location by installing that spoofer. You need to disable it or have it spoof network location instead.

Since Android 4.4.x, Location has three tiers:

Battery Saving - uses network based location, accurate to 75 - 750 feet.

Device Only - uses device's internal hardware to pinpoint your position. Accurate to 15 - 150 feet.

High Accuracy - uses both methods stated above simultaneously. Accurate to 5 - 50 feet.

Android 5.x and above allows you to deny location queries from apps that abuse location services without root access. Go to Settings > App manager, and select "Modify" to approve or deny individual permissions.

Please note that disabling some permissions may break the functionality of apps. System apps cannot be modified. Google apps are technically overlaid, so their permissions will be visible even if they're installed to /system/app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones