• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Devices with built-in batteries

Zx5

May 30, 2012
Hey loungers...

I see there a lot of devices with built-in, rechargeable batteries; phones, tablets, media players, etc...

So, is the deal with that is - if the device is cheap and the battery dies, it's essentially disposable?

For example, a cheap $50 tablet that dies after 2 years - the cost of having to pay to the company to install a new battery would exceed the price of just buying a new one, right? Plus it would be outdated by then.

But what about more expensive devices with a built-in battery? What do you think is the price point to actually ship out a device with a dead battery for a replacement; a $100, $200 device and up, or...?

One of the main reasons people choose android over iphone.

For $50 over two years, yeah, but it's still sacrilege to get rid of an otherwise functioning product, unless you can get cash for recycling it ;) .

It is a bit hit & miss but it depends on the brand, for instance I have a nokia repair centre in town so I can hand it in... we have a place called Computer Exchange where you can sell them second hand, but they need to be in best condition to get a good price.

There are instructables online about taking apart things yourself, but you risk damaging them. I've had to resort to this when I've seen the cost of repair (apple :rolleyes:). If you can afford it, send it in.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'd prefer removable and easily exchangeable batteries, not only is it good knowing that you can easily replace your battery, it's good if your phone goes off the hook calling people or is frozen or anything like that because you can simply rip the battery out and put it back in again.

I have an iPod touch that had terrible battery life (100% full to dead flat in 5 minutes of temple run ha) after just wearing out (and I wasn't really charging it carefully, but that's in the past ;) ). I had to remove the cover with a metal nail file, purchase a replacement battery and then solder it to the logic board. Talk about a waste of time, but I wasn't going to pay apple any amount of money to do it. Not to mention I couldn't be bothered restoring from jailbreaking the device.

Upvote 0
One of the main reasons people choose android over iphone.
The android, $200 HTC One V has a non-removable battery. :/

...but they need to be in best condition to get a good price.
Good to know you can at least get something for a dead device.

I'd prefer removable and easily exchangeable batteries, not only is it good knowing that you can easily replace your battery, it's good if your phone goes off the hook calling people or is frozen or anything like that because you can simply rip the battery out and put it back in again.
Plus you can buy a new battery when needed.

I have an iPod touch that had terrible battery life (100% full to dead flat in 5 minutes of temple run ha) after just wearing out (and I wasn't really charging it carefully, but that's in the past ;) ). I had to remove the cover with a metal nail file, purchase a replacement battery and then solder it to the logic board. Talk about a waste of time, but I wasn't going to pay apple any amount of money to do it.
How much would they have charged to put a new battery in; the cost of labor plus the battery?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones