• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did I FDR this thing right? A few items persisted...

Marc_G

Hi all,

So I finally decided to do a factory data reset for the very first time after getting my RMHD in early November. I recently completed the 9.16 update. Things had gradually been getting a bit laggy. Time for a wipe.

I connected it to my win7 computer, backed up everything I could see, then went in and chose the FDR option in Privacy.
First, was there a better way to back up? I had to reset almost everything manually, except for the apps which loaded when I put in my accounts on google.

But the odd thing is that despite the FDR, it kept the selection of wallpaper and also remembered my home WIFI authentication password. I wonder what else persisted. IT's also possible some of this was restored by Verizon backup+ or other automated backups, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Marc

Hi all,

So I finally decided to do a factory data reset for the very first time after getting my RMHD in early November. I recently completed the 9.16 update. Things had gradually been getting a bit laggy. Time for a wipe.

I connected it to my win7 computer, backed up everything I could see, then went in and chose the FDR option in Privacy.
First, was there a better way to back up? I had to reset almost everything manually, except for the apps which loaded when I put in my accounts on google.

But the odd thing is that despite the FDR, it kept the selection of wallpaper and also remembered my home WIFI authentication password. I wonder what else persisted. IT's also possible some of this was restored by Verizon backup+ or other automated backups, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Marc

Hello Marc.

Well, you named just about everything that could be an answer to "any thoughts?" in the body of your post there. ;) The Backup + will import everything back to your device for you, if enabled. The data and items you brought back to the system from your computer will obviously restore that stuff.

Factory Data Resets are good, but not necessary if it is just lag you are wanting to remedy (or recovered RAM and other storage).

The cache wipe from the recovery menu will clean things out quite a bit. And then of course there is the cache (and data if indeed you are using Backup + or some other non-rooted method of backup) in each app/widget you find in "downloaded" section of the Application Manager. And of course there is the pruning of running services in the "Running" section of the same area. Then reboot.

Sometimes restoring backups enabled in the launcher you are using is better and safer, as it won't import issues back into your device that may have been causing the lag in the first place, such as an app/widget that sucks up too much resource, like weather or whatever. That stuff needs to be set to manually sync on demand rather than auto sync if you want a speedier system in the long run.

Thanks. I should probably read up on backup strategies. I think the Verizon Backup+ is a dog. I also use Carbonite and have enabled that on it. Didn't know my launcher could do backups (I'm using the stock launcher, so maybe it doesn't have that capability).

You have to disable the restore option, then the backup option, before resetting. Otherwise it will restore some data after a FDR.

Back
Top Bottom