• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Difference b/w prepaid and 'no contract'?

ThatonedudexP

Really nooby question... What is the difference between T-Mobile's prepaid and no contract services? They both offer the same (individual) plans ($50, $60, & $70) except the prepaid has the exclusive $30 plan. Also, can't you purchase a phone from their 'no contract' contract phones list and use it on their prepaid service (specifically their $30)?
I thought I understood everything (lol), but then started reading up on their 'no contract' service today. I think the no contract ones have data roaming while the prepaid services do not offer that... Anything else? BTW, I plan to pay for a phone up front instead of making payments. Sorry for asking such a silly question. :o

Really nooby question... What is the difference between T-Mobile's prepaid and no contract services? They both offer the same (individual) plans ($50, $60, & $70) except the prepaid has the exclusive $30 plan. Also, can't you purchase a phone from their 'no contract' contract phones list and use it on their prepaid service (specifically their $30)?
I thought I understood everything (lol), but then started reading up on their 'no contract' service today. I think the no contract ones have data roaming while the prepaid services do not offer that... Anything else? BTW, I plan to pay for a phone up front instead of making payments. Sorry for asking such a silly question. :o

The difference between prepaid and postpaid is that the prepaid costs the same minus one dollar. You don't get roaming (which T-Mobile doesn't charge for) with prepaid.
I am on the postpaid 70$ plan. I pay the monthly payment plus taxes. I have unlimited 4G and roaming. I get 50mb of roaming data per month.

Their "no contract" plans are in essence still post-paid.

You aren't signing a contract for X amount of months, but you're still agreeing to pay the phone off over X amount of months.

IMO its the same. You can either pay off the phone early or traditionally buy out the contract early.

Someone on T-Mo feel free to correct me :)

Thank you both! I've never heard it termed post paid before. (I've been living in the Straight Talk box for three years.) :P Can you purchase a post paid phone from their site and use it on their prepaid service?

You aren't signing a contract for X amount of months, but you're still agreeing to pay the phone off over X amount of months.

IMO its the same. You can either pay off the phone early or traditionally buy out the contract early.

Essentially, yes. What T-Mobile actually did when they went to the "no-contract" model was separate the phone charge from the usage charge. This way you can get cheaper service if you bring your own device or pay for it in full; on the old model, the only way to really save money by paying full price for a device was to go with a prepaid plan because the cost of the phone was built into the monthly fee on postpaid.

Thank you both! I've never heard it termed post paid before. (I've been living in the Straight Talk box for three years.) :P Can you purchase a post paid phone from their site and use it on their prepaid service?

I think that the only way you can purchase from their website and use it on prepaid is if you pay for the device in full - you can't have a device payment plan with the prepaid service.

Thank you codesplice! I read somewhere else that you can use a postpaid phone on their prepaid when you pay for it up front (like you said), but I also read that you HAVE TO purchase one first month of postpaid service with the postpaid phone. During that month, T-Mobile can refund your month of service that you paid though. Does anyone know if you really have to buy a month of service or can you just buy the phone? I assume a postpaid sim is unconditionally included with the phone.

Just tested it out, and it seems a postpaid plan does have to be bought. So, to get the prepaid service, you'd have to buy a postpaid plan, cancel the plan, buy a prepaid sim, and buy a prepaid plan. How convenient :P

If you go the prepaid route, get a refurb/used phone. You can get decent phones on Ebay, Amazon, Swappa, etc. I bought 2 phones on Ebay and 1 on Swappa. I've been fortunate but I do research the sellers

Now, if you are going for the latest and greatest, you're still going to spend a lot.

Just tested it out, and it seems a postpaid plan does have to be bought. So, to get the prepaid service, you'd have to buy a postpaid plan, cancel the plan, buy a prepaid sim, and buy a prepaid plan. How convenient :P

To get the prepaid $30 you have to go to walmart, not t-mobile. T-mobile doesn't support the $30 plan on its site or in corporate stores.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds weird, but I'd strongly prefer buying straight from T-Mobile (or Google Play). I just wish buying a month of service wasn't a requirement with their postpaid phones since I plan on using the $30 prepaid service. lol

Buying from play is the way to go if you ask me.

Its cheaper and you don't have to worry about prepaid versus postpaid

If you are not in a hurry, TMobile may do the free sim card deal again. I got 2 the last time around.

1. Postpaid can do roaming on other network. Prepaid cannot. This is the last time I heard.
2. Prepaid if you buy from non T-Mobile, there is no tax.

Well considering that I byod I am post paid but can't eip. Till next year nor will I get my deposit backk until then..

1. Postpaid can do roaming on other network. Prepaid cannot. This is the last time I heard.
2. Prepaid if you buy from non T-Mobile, there is no tax.

Problem is t-mobile prepaid as well as postpaid only roam in certain areas. For instance there's an area in my town that gets a "no network found" with t-mobile while my friends with at&t make calls with no problem. This even happened when I briefly signed up for their new plans which was a postpaid plan.

The last I read, T-Mobile is now allowing domestic data roaming on prepaid plans, though you still don't get the free international roaming with prepaid.

Also, one of the best T-Mobile prepaid deals appears to be 35orless. Their base rate is $35/month for unlimited talk, text, and 500MB high speed data (including LTE); with 2.5GB data an extra $15 and true unlimited for an extra $25 ($60 total). But they also give users a discounted rate each month, based on the number of new users on the service, with the discount typically between $7.50-10. With the discount, this means that you are only paying about $28 for the 500 MB plan, $43 for 2.5GB plan, and $53 for true unlimited data.

Service seems to basically be equivalent to T-Mobile postpaid (other than no international roaming); including hotspot and data roaming, and even data priority. You can even use the T-Mobile app or #932# to view your usage.

Domestic data roaming only available for the $50, $60 & $70 pay-in-advance plans. Roaming and on-network data allotments differ: 500 MB full-speed plan includes 10 MB roaming; 2.5 GB and Unlimited 4G full-speed plans include 50 MB roaming. International data roaming not available. Some plan options include specified data speeds. Where indicated, full speeds available up to data allotment; then slowed to up to 2G speeds for balance of service period.

Easier to read:D

International data roaming should be available for prepaid, as long as the customer has a sufficient balance, it doesn't necessarily have to be free like it is for postpaid.

I believe AT&T's GoPhone prepaid offers data roaming when in Canada and Mexico.

Thanks for replying everyone. :) mogelijk, Could you please link me to that plan? That's the first time I've heard of it I think... at least the discount part.

Thanks for replying everyone. :) mogelijk, Could you please link me to that plan? That's the first time I've heard of it I think... at least the discount part.

This is the link to 35orless. The basics of the discount are mentioned on the front page and you can find the details in the FAQ. The different data options are shown when you sign up for service.

There is a thread on Howard Forums talking about the service, with one member, Less35, who works for 35orless and regularly contributes.

One other difference I just recalled about prepaid vs. postpaid on T-Mobile is that prepaid does not have conditional call forwarding. Interestingly, you do have conditional call forwarding on 35orless.

T-Mobile is very selective about when they allow their customers to roam. It's generally in areas where they offer no service whatsoever

Back
Top Bottom