• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disappearing Home Screens

aml1025

Android Enthusiast
My daughter has an S3 on Virgin Mobile USA. At one time she had (I think) 5 home screens set up. Over the past month or so, they have been slowly disappearing without her removing them, and as of today, she has only one remaining.

Because the charging port is bad, she has an extra battery which charges externally. The phone is powered off every day when she swaps batteries, and it appears that the extra screens have disappeared when the phone has been power cycled.

Any idea why this is happening? Obviously the screens can be re-added, but it seems like a lot of work to go through if they are only going to keep disappearing.

She does plan to get a new phone, but can't afford one yet, so she wants to make this one last as long as possible.

Don't know what would make them disappear but you could try a different launcher. Nova launcher is a good one that has a lot of custom features. Can't remember if the free version has it but Nova Prime has a home screen lock feature to prevent changes once you get it set up the way you like it.

Thanks, I suggested that she give it a try. It will be funny to see if they continue to disappear when a different launcher.

The phone is password locked and kept in her possession like a security blanket. If it's a prank, I can't figure how it would be happening (although the idea makes me giggle, honestly).

Since evidence suggests that it's not a prank, I'm bothered by it too, actually more than she is. Right now, she seems to be viewing it as a puzzle to figure out. If she ever comes up with an explanation, I'll be sure to share.

Another great feature of Nova Prime is the option to backup your home screens. I save mine to SD card and when I switch Roms or have to factory reset, I can run the backup after apps have finished downloading. Home screens return to the way I like them.

Here's a thought ... An accidental pinch on the home screen can bring up the screen to arrange home screens. It's easy at that point to accidentally delete them. Could it be that she is tapping the wrong "X"?

Here's a thought ... An accidental pinch on the home screen can bring up the screen to arrange home screens. It's easy at that point to accidentally delete them. Could it be that she is tapping the wrong "X"?
For an average user, I could see that happening, and the simplest solutions are definitely best to check first. However, she's more tech savvy (has actually been using her phone to run the apps she's been writing for school) so I don't think it's very likely.

The good news is that the last home screen hasn't disappeared on her - I think now that it's summer break, she's going to try some of the suggestions here. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom