• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do I need s off to flash a kernel?

Thatdad

Android Expert
I did the htcdev bootloader unlock but I'm still s on. I am rooted and also have twrp recovery.

Do I need s on or can I go ahead and flash a kernel from SD?

If I recall correctly, you need s-off to flash a kernel through recovery... But you can still flash one through fastboot using the command
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
Where 'boot.img' is the name of the kernel.img you want to flash

If I recall correctly, you need s-off to flash a kernel through recovery... But you can still flash one through fastboot using the command
Code:
Where 'boot.img' is the name of the kernel.img you want to flash
I was going to flash through fastboot but couldn't because windows sucks with Android :/

I'll have to do it this weekend when I can get the Linux laptop overheated to boot.

How do we s off this device?

You can flash a kernel (whether separate or in a rom) through TWRP recovery on most s-on HTCs but some are just stubborn.

In such a case, extract the boot.img file from the zip, move it to your fastboot folder on your pc, go to FASTBOOT USB mode on the phone, and say in a command window open to your fastboot folder -

Tends to work every time if the bootloader is unlocked, regardless of s-on.

But usually it's not a problem with TWRP.

I always thought that twrp had to have htc dumlock enabled to flash a kernel with an s-on htc device. (But I've only owned two htc's)

Back
Top Bottom