• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you find the Avant to have comparatively poor reception ?

I get great reception and speed test get on average 30-50MBs sec. Was at the hospital the other day. Basement hospital All calls and text went through just fine. But then again, I do live in the city.
I guess if you live in an urban area you wouldn't notice it so much. MetroPCS doesnt have that great of coverage here in southwest Fl so ive noticed that I don't get LTE in areas where I did with my previous phone (also MetroPCS). It has gotten much better since they started using T-Mobile's network though. A couple years ago people around here would call it Metro P.O.S. because, while Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T had 4G, Metro only had 2G data.

Reactions: AppleUser
Upvote 0
I guess if you live in an urban area you wouldn't notice it so much. MetroPCS doesnt have that great of coverage here in southwest Fl so ive noticed that I don't get LTE in areas where I did with my previous phone (also MetroPCS). It has gotten much better since they started using T-Mobile's network though. A couple years ago people around here would call it Metro P.O.S. because, while Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T had 4G, Metro only had 2G data.

Thank you, Master. Do you use a spare and/or extended battery?

Upvote 0
Thank you, Master. Do you use a spare and/or extended battery?
Right now I don't. Previously I had a second OEM battery that I used as a spare. I gave my first avant to a developer along with my case and secondary battery. At this point, I would like to get a mugen extended battery but they are too expensive. It doesn't make sense to pay $90 for a battery when I could buy a another avant brand new for just a few more $

Upvote 0

That 12 band didn't help people like you? That sucks to hear! If I leave city guess SOL.

Upvote 0
That 12 band didn't help people like you? That sucks to hear! If I leave city guess SOL.
Unfortunately I live in an area that doesn't have band 12. The areas where they are rolling out band 12 are in pink. I probably won't benefit from band 12 until next year or later.

Attachments

• 1431627519232.jpg
    1431627519232.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
Right now I don't. Previously I had a second OEM battery that I used as a spare. I gave my first avant to a developer along with my case and secondary battery. At this point, I would like to get a mugen extended battery but they are too expensive. It doesn't make sense to pay $90 for a battery when I could buy a another avant brand new for just a few more $

The Mugen only doubles the time and are far more expensive than the Motion extended battery. Wonder why ?

Upvote 0
Compared my LG Motion to my friend's Avant, and my Motion gets better reception in fringe areas. Has anyone else had this experience (another model gets better reception than the Avant).

In this case you're comparing apples to oranges since the Motion is CDMA and the Avant is GSM, so they are using different towers. It may be that in those areas the CDMA coverage is better, although that should be changing soon (assuming you're on MetroPCS) as that whole system is being shut down and refarmed for GSM. So if your friend is on Metro his Motion is going to become a brick very shortly.

Upvote 0
Same house, same Metro service, The Avant would drop back down to hspa, and not go back up to LTE.
A little ole Galaxy Light in same house, keeps LTE more often, and goes back to LTE on its own if it drops to hspa.

I say yes, *my* Avant got poor reception compared to a Light. All same conditions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones