• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do you modify app permissions?

gale65

Android Enthusiast
I noticed that with the DU rom I can modify app permissions. I did on google play services because it was waking my phone a lot and I don't know why (I'll switch it back if something quits working). Does anyone modify them and what do you usually remove permission on? I've been going in and turning off location for some apps that I never need locations in.

I noticed that with the DU rom I can modify app permissions. I did on google play services because it was waking my phone a lot and I don't know why (I'll switch it back if something quits working). Does anyone modify them and what do you usually remove permission on? I've been going in and turning off location for some apps that I never need locations in.

I usually remove permission for apps that have no business needing my personal or contacts' info, location, camera, SMS etc. Why does Angry Birds need my camera and location??

Almost all of my apps have location in the permissions and most of them don't seem to need it. Most have "wake" too and I've shut that off for most of them. I guess I'd rather modify permissions than miss out on an app I really want or like.

Almost all of my apps have location in the permissions and most of them don't seem to need it. Most have "wake" too and I've shut that off for most of them. I guess I'd rather modify permissions than miss out on an app I really want or like.
It may have them for certain functions of the app that can be turned off via settings. Like Facebook location sharing for instance

I wonder what apps need "keep awake" to be permitted. I went and turned it off for most of my apps so I'll watch for any problems to come up. Seems like most of them used the "keep awake" within the past few hours, even apps I didn't use today.

I also installed greenify but I'm still trying to learn exactly how it works.

Greenify free works by basically blocking downloaded apps. What you have to do is, go through and select the apps that you want to greenify. Although the free version will only allow you to greenify apps that you downloaded from the Play store and not any of the intrgrated system apps - for instance like all Google apps will be system apps.
Best thing to do is greenify apps that you don't want to run in the background. Like a lot of games for eg. You could also use Wake lock Detector or Better Battery Stats to find out which apps are causing wakelocks for a day or so and then just greenify them. Apps like your GoSMS.
The donation version of greenify is worth it, since it will let you greenify system apps also bit you word need to install the Xposed Framework and the Xposed greenify mod. You can also receive push notifications from greenified apps as long as they use Google cloud messaging - so that means like, Google+, Facebook and etc.
Any apps that you greenify, you can also un-greenafy as well.
Just keep an eye on greenify and make sure that it doesn't become a wakelock issue too.

Keep in mind too that DU does not recommend using Xposed framework and Xposed mods with the DU ROM. Although so.ething lime Xposed greenify mod should be OK... If it causes any problems or issues you can always just uninstall Xposed greenify mod.

I went through and greenified pretty much all of the apps that it let me. I didn't greenify greenify, go sms (because I want to get text notifications), swiftkey (I had to re-enable it every time and that got old), 1weather (to get weather warnings) and gsam. I might just greenify gsam too. I guess it doesn't need to be running.

My main battery suck seems to be that darn location thing. NLP collector wakelock or something. I turned off location reporting and history in google and have it set for battery saving in location, plus turned off location permissions for everything but maps and weather. If that doesn't help I'll turn location totally off and just turn on gps when I need it. My battery life isn't any better than it was before installing DU and in some ways it's worse. And the phone gets really hot now when I'm using certain apps.

I went through and greenified pretty much all of the apps that it let me. I didn't greenify greenify, go sms (because I want to get text notifications), swiftkey (I had to re-enable it every time and that got old), 1weather (to get weather warnings) and gsam. I might just greenify gsam too. I guess it doesn't need to be running.

My main battery suck seems to be that darn location thing. NLP collector wakelock or something. I turned off location reporting and history in google and have it set for battery saving in location, plus turned off location permissions for everything but maps and weather. If that doesn't help I'll turn location totally off and just turn on gps when I need it. My battery life isn't any better than it was before installing DU and in some ways it's worse. And the phone gets really hot now when I'm using certain apps.

The NLP collector wakelock is a know issue on a lot of devices. There is a whole discussion thread dedicated on the N5 for it though here - NlpWakeLock and NlpCollectorWakeLock Discuss

I've found keeping location on device only is good enough for most of my needs. If there's something specific I need googles location services for I can always enable it as needed.

Put another way - I find Its googles location services that is eating battery - not necessarily the GPS radio itself

I checked greenify just now and evernote woke up in the past hour and synced. I didn't realize I had it set to auto sync so I turned that off (I rarely add to evernote so I can sync whenever I do-I mostly just use it to look at what I've saved). Other than that, nothing on wakelock detector in the past 2 hrs 44 min and only 2% loss in battery.

We're going on vacation in a couple of weeks so I might turn location on for that if I'm asked to (by apps). I have a dedicated GPS that I might take along to save on my phone battery, and otherwise probably won't need location on (well except for mousewait when we're at Disneyland. Not sure if I need location on for that). The car we'll be using has GPS but it hasn't been updated in years-it's my sister's car and she is planning to trade it in next winter so she won't be paying for any updates.

Purity ROM also allows you to change individual app permissions. Even though I have Greenify, I also turned off Keep Awake for a lot of them.

Back