• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does shortages cause a decrease in phone quality?

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2011
Here's my concern and let me know if I'm insane for thinking about this.

Most US Carriers are now pushing back the ship date for the phone. The standard excuse is that unprecedented demand is causing shortages. So my logic is that Samsung is now running their factories non-stop and whipping their employees to churn out these devices as fast as possible. And, as with many time sensitive situations, the increased workload might translate into cutting corners in an effort to save some time.

So, are we going to receive phones with sub-par craftsmanship once this thing does arrive?

You bring up a good point but I don't believe so. Back when I was on Verizon I had a Droid x on pre order and it got delayed and didn't get it for two weeks. The date on the box of the phone though was well before it was released. So Samsung has a bunch of these things sitting in their warehouse ready to go. They can just only ship so many to so many stores. From the looks of it everything looks to be on time for the 3 major carries. Verizon may be late because of the cdma aspect of it idk.

Reactions: ouch1976
Upvote 0
From what I could read, the shortages are due to the demand on the S4 Snapdragon processor. Both the HTC One series (at least the One X and Evo LTE) and the Galaxy S3 use it, and Qualcomm is having a hard time keeping up with both of these fast selling devices.

So build quality will not be impacted. It's just the supply is limited until Qualcomm can catch up.

Reactions: ouch1976
Upvote 0
From what I could read, the shortages are due to the demand on the S4 Snapdragon processor. Both the HTC One series (at least the One X and Evo LTE) and the Galaxy S3 use it, and Qualcomm is having a hard time keeping up with both of these fast selling devices.

So build quality will not be impacted. It's just the supply is limited until Qualcomm can catch up.

Ah, but in that case, what if the quality of S4 Snapdragon deteriorates with increased demand? (Sorry, just playing devil's advocate)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones