• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Door creaking sound effect?

Mel_13

Lurker
Hi everyone,

Twice in the last month my Galaxy has unexpectedly made a "door opening/creaking" sound effect out of the blue. It's pretty awful and kind of screechy so the first time I was surprised and thought something was malfunctioning. The second time I listened and it does indeed sound like a sound effect of a creaking door.

I have never set this sound effect for anything, and when I went to my sounds page on settings I can't even find this sound anywhere.

Both times it has happened I've been on my Facebook messages, and certainly not every time- it's only been twice. So I'm not sure if it's something new started by Facebook or if something else is happening on my phone at the same time.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what it is or how to stop it? I have Avast and it says I have no infections.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Twice in the last month my Galaxy has unexpectedly made a "door opening/creaking" sound effect out of the blue. It's pretty awful and kind of screechy so the first time I was surprised and thought something was malfunctioning. The second time I listened and it does indeed sound like a sound effect of a creaking door.

I have never set this sound effect for anything, and when I went to my sounds page on settings I can't even find this sound anywhere.

Both times it has happened I've been on my Facebook messages, and certainly not every time- it's only been twice. So I'm not sure if it's something new started by Facebook or if something else is happening on my phone at the same time.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what it is or how to stop it? I have Avast and it says I have no infections.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Mel_13 :)

Yours is a strange problem. Off hand, I do not know of any, "creaking door", notifications sounds on any of the 41 stock S5 devices. See, 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

As it is so intermittent it will be difficult to track down. Normally, I would suggest running the phone in Safe Mode as per #1.4 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide to determine whether it is a system app or a user app/setting that is causing the issue. You could try clearing your devices cache partition, as per #1.3 of the aforementioned Update Problems guide, in case there is any detritus left over from an earlier firmware update and see if that helps.

Last edited:
That has happened three times on my phone while on Facebook reading messages. I have a hydro pro Android. Pretty annoying

I thought I was going crazy until I saw you guys posting about the same thing. This happened to me once before Halloween right as I was going to bed. Talk about creepy. Since it's happen to me 3 more times. Today after lunch was the last time I heard it.

Two nights ago I was sitting down to watch TV and a 2 sec weird musical clip play out of my cell phone.

I'll keep and eye on it and see if it may be Facebook related.

I thought it might be Periscope or Meerkat. Maybe someone has found a way to tap into my cell phone and listen via these to apps? Maybe Maybe not?

If anyone has a fix let me know.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I just had the same thing happen to me!!
I was using FB Messenger when my phone made a noise that sounded like a creaking door.
Did anyone figure out what it is?

Just had this door creaking sound happen tonight. Happened right when i clicked on facebook messenger app. Took a second to realise what the sound was, but it definately was a door creaking. Samsung galaxy s5. Thursday december 10 2015. Battery was at 2%.

The last time i had something like this happen, was on my motorola droid 2. The phone was at 1% battery. Only with this instance, it was a soundbite of homer simpson laughing over and over until the phone died from low battery. I had no simpsons apps or soundboards installed, same as not having any creaking door sounds installed on my current phone.

The only thing that i want to point out, is that the following morning after the homer episode on my droid 2, i did have a paranormal experience.
I guess tomorrow i will see if the same happens again..

I have tried researching threads about this creaking noise, and this seems the most active, maybe only thread pertaining to the noise. I cant help but wonder if its an overlooked byproduct of phone hacking, or maybe its just something that occurs due to human error in development of technology or malfunctioning of said device. Either way, good foundation for a creepypasta.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Ok so i thought i was hearing things but now reading these posts I clearly think that it has something to do with the Facebook messenger app.

It's the noise your phone makes when you hold down the thumbs up button in a chat. As the thumbs up grows, the door creaks. Heaven knows why.

I've done the hold thumbs up and it doesn't sound anything like the door creek but it does happen when on FB messenger as far as I know....

You have no idea how pleased I am to find this thread! This just happened to me for the first time, as I sent a FB message, whilst watching the Dorset Ghost Investigators on YouTube, in the middle of a silent graveyard! Nearly flew out of my seat! Just the time you want to hear a flippin' creaking door!

Hi I'm having a similar problem .. mine is sonar style sounds
Every time I try use messinger. . It cuts off any talk and all u hear is the annoying pip pip pip pip pip till it ends it'd sequence and then a couple of mins later starts again .. now my calls are dropping because of it... it's really frustrating :(

Just found the below doc. . About to try it :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-23-20-10-32.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-23-20-10-32.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,422
So I know this is an old post, but I just had this happen to me and I tested the "hold the like button down" theory. When I do that it makes a different sound than the one I heard. The one I heard sounded like a very old door in a large creepy house.. when I hold the like button down, it sound like a faster door or even rocket that goes pop when I let go.

Mine sounds like when somebody turns on a microphone - that subtle "clack". Or when somebody accidentally brushes a microphone. Makes me think somebody's listening through my phone.

Go to Settings then (G) Google and look for Connected Apps. Browse and see what apps or websites is connected to your device. If and when you locate the culprit, just disconnect it.

Cheers.....

Just had a creaking door sound on my Samsung 22Ultra 5g. It's actually happened quite a bit over the past few days. Even when I don't have any apps open. 3 times today! I can't find anything online. I've restarted my phone and just "optimized" my apps. Any suggestions or solves in the past several years?

I think "overlooked byproduct of phone hacking" is absurdly unlikely (replying to a suggestion that has since been removed).

It will be a sound in some app, perhaps only on some phones (or else not a common app). Which app is going to be impossible to know until someone spots what it is associated with. There are circumstances in which apps may make sounds without a notification appearing. Many message apps make a different sound for an incoming message when you are in a conversation vs when you are not (even if the phone has been put down and the screen has turned off). A more obscure case is one I had some years ago: a system monitor app had a setting to alert you when the temperature exceeded some threshold, where there was no notification, it just made a sound with no visible reason and without the app itself being open - that took a long time to track down. It could be something completely different, very likely is, I just give those as 2 examples where a phone can make an unexpected and perhaps unusual sound. But I've never heard anything that I'd describe as "creaking door", so can't contribute to tracking down the cause myself.

Last edited:
I hope I'm not restating the obvious (or worse, providing a dumb answer). On my Pixel 4a, when an unfamiliar notification sound happens I can go into System > Notifications > Notification History to see a list of what apps have recently issued a sound notification. Better yet, I can then hold on the unwanted listing to change that particular notification's sound to something I like better or silence it entirely. (In many cases, this will not affect other sound notifications from that app; depends on how granular the notification settings are in the app.)

For one of my medical apps that has super-annoying loud alerts I have softened them all so I don't make everyone in a meeting jump.

The pathway to Notification History is likely different on Samsung, but it should be there somewhere.

Last edited:
On a Samsung they hide notification history in Settings > Notifications > Advanced Settings. I always find it silly because (a) it's harder to find than my previous Pixel (where I could get to it quickly from the notification slide) and (b) it's the only reason I ever go to the Notifications settings, so burying it under "advanced" feels extra unhelpful ;).

Back
Top Bottom