• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Download Google Play Apps without device?

h1r0ll3r

Silly question but are you able to download apps from Google Play even though you don't have a device associated with your Gmail/Google account? I'm currently using an iPhone 4 and am waiting the release of the Note 2. I was trying to "pre-download" apps in preparation for my new phone however I'm not seeing anything like that available. Am I just going to have to wait until I get my phone and then start downloading away? I'm new to this in case you haven't figured it out :) Thanks.

Is there any advantage to pre-downloading apps when you've nothing to run them on? You don't want to do that with paid apps anyway, as the refund period (too short anyway IMO) will expire before you can try them.

Is there any advantage to pre-downloading apps when you've nothing to run them on? You don't want to do that with paid apps anyway, as the refund period (too short anyway IMO) will expire before you can try them.

No, not with paid apps. Basically I wanted to compile a wishlist, or queue, of apps I want to download and then whenever I get my phone, all those apps would begin automatically downloading to my phone. If that's not an option then it's doing it the old fashioned way and manually downloading each app whenever I get my phone. Just wanted to see if there was some work-around to that. Never used the Google App store before.

No, I don't think you can do that at the moment. If I try to download an app from the play store then it will ask me to log in and select the device, which it will then download to.

They are supposed to be rolling-out a "wishlist" feature, which sounds like what you'd like. But I think that's for the Play Store app on the phone, in which case it wouldn't help. However, I don't this feature on my account yet so can't check whether it also shows up on the web version of the Play Store when you do (I'm also not sure whether the system will accept that you have a Play Store account if you haven't got a device registered).

Being able to download apps without a device would be a great thing. for someone contemplating coming to Android. Think of the recent 25-cent sale going on while waiting for a new device to come in... :D

The Amazon Appstore price matches at times, an if one has an Amazon Account it is possible to procure the app without a device, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom