• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Downloads don't work, parsing error, pictures won't save

RussInNY

Lurker
I just wanted to download pictures from my phone. This program popped up - Sony PC Companion. I thought it was a picture downloading program, so I authorized it to go ahead. It didn't download any pictures - it upgraded my version of Android from 2.3 to 4.0. Unexpected but OK. Awhile later I found that I could no longer download or upgrade apps I ordered from the Amazon App store, indeed I was not able to download the App store itself. I had thought that if I uninstalled it then reinstalled it that it might fix my problem - it didn't. I was able to reinstall the app store by turning the phone off and then back on in "Safe Mode". When I tried to install or upgrade apps though, I got this error message "Parsing Error, unable to parse the package", or something like that. Or nothing would happen.
I finally realized that there was more going on then a problem with Amazon Apps however. My apologies for blaming them.
I noticed the camera wasn't saving any pictures either. Pictures I had taken before the Android upgrade were still there, but no new ones were being saved properly.
Hmm I cannot download Apps, save pictures, do anything involving saving data to my external memory card.
The phone had shipped with a 2Gig SD card that I had replaced with a 32Gig. I still had the 2Gig. So I carefully unmounted and removed the 32Gig, then replaced it with the 2Gig. That solved all my problems. When the phone upgraded it lost a proper communication link to the Micro SD card. That is why nothing would download or save properly.
I realized I would have to erase everything on my 32Gig memory card and reinstall it completely empty, in the process losing all the apps, all the stuff I had saved to it over several months.
Fortunately Amazon, Google Play, and other reputable companies keep all paid for apps available in the cloud. It was very time consuming to download and install all the apps I had before my problem, but I did it, and the result is my phone is working perfectly, everything runs as good as new, and it is upgraded to Android 4.0 sucessfully.

Back
Top Bottom