• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Drive assist not working

fldude99

Android Expert
Oct 10, 2010
NW FL
Anybody else having problems with the drive assist? Mine shows the drive assist thing in the notification area, but if I receive a text, either nothing happens, or it asks me to "say listen" if I want to hear the text, which disappears after 5 seconds, but in any event defeats the whole reason for a drive assist anyway. Didn't notice this until recently because I don't receive a lot of texts while driving.

Anybody else having problems with the drive assist? Mine shows the drive assist thing in the notification area, but if I receive a text, either nothing happens, or it asks me to "say listen" if I want to hear the text, which disappears after 5 seconds, but in any event defeats the whole reason for a drive assist anyway. Didn't notice this until recently because I don't receive a lot of texts while driving.

Honestly I think that's what it's supposed to do. It will alert you to a call or text and ask what you want to do. (Only thing I would say is are you using any apps or a BT device (or car connection) that might interfere with the operation?) 3rd party text apps will in most cases disable the stock text app and block the touchless controls. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Honestly I think that's what it's supposed to do. It will alert you to a call or text and ask what you want to do. (Only thing I would say is are you using any apps or a BT device (or car connection) that might interfere with the operation?) 3rd party text apps will in most cases disable the stock text app and block the touchless controls. Just a thought.

Thanks for the reply. After trying it with the BT turned off, I could at least hear the phone announce that someone has sent a text, but then you have to interact with the thing to say "listen"?! That's very useless and possibly even adds to the hazard of playing around with the phone while driving. Boo to Motorola on this one. The only way I can imagine it useful is if you have built in BT in your car and it announces the text and you can interact without taking eyes off the road and a hand off the steering wheel

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. After trying it with the BT turned off, I could at least hear the phone announce that someone has sent a text, but then you have to interact with the thing to say "listen"?! That's very useless and possibly even adds to the hazard of playing around with the phone while driving. Boo to Motorola on this one. The only way I can imagine it useful is if you have built in BT in your car and it announces the text and you can interact without taking eyes off the road and a hand off the steering wheel

I have never had to interact with the phone to get it to read the text message out loud except to say "listen" out loud. I don't have to touch the phone at all.

Upvote 0
I have never had to interact with the phone to get it to read the text message out loud except to say "listen" out loud. I don't have to touch the phone at all.

Where is the phone located in your car? What I find is that there is a limited (about 5 seconds) to reply. So it's easy to miss if you're listening to the radio. But I guess even if the text were to be read out immediately, I'd miss it if I'm listening to the radio anyway. I have my phone in like a cupholder, so I can't really hear the announcement that there is a text message unless it's pretty quiet with no radio.

Upvote 0
Where is the phone located in your car? What I find is that there is a limited (about 5 seconds) to reply. So it's easy to miss if you're listening to the radio. But I guess even if the text were to be read out immediately, I'd miss it if I'm listening to the radio anyway. I have my phone in like a cupholder, so I can't really hear the announcement that there is a text message unless it's pretty quiet with no radio.

I usually have the phone in a holder of some sort near the radio. But I have put the phone in a cup holder - upside down, so that the speaker can be reflected up the cup holder, and the microphone is pointing up - and that has worked fine for me. I just pause the radio and say "listen". Once or twice it hasn't worked, but I'd say 3/4 of the time or more it's worked fine.

Reactions: fldude99
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones