• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

droid maxx advice (could be new user!)

Hey everyone I may want to get a new droid maxx when my contract is over in Aug 28th but got few questions and problems. Id rather not have a contract but it is what it is.

1. I know its only sold in verizon stores as the 16gb version as far as I know. Anyone know if I can get a 64gb version for cheap that would sell me on this phone for sure.

2. does this phone really last close to 48 hours with mixed usage?

3. what are any drawbacks with this phone if any?

4. im worried about the space if i have to get a 16gb maxx. Is 16mb good enough for most users with some pics not a lot, with at least 35 apps not coming with phone.

I am going to start there.

1. There was never a 64 gb version. You may still be able to get a 32 gb version on Amazon.

2. It depends on what you mean by mixed use. I have never been able to get 48 hours, but I always get through a day from wakeup to bedtime with plenty of power left

4. I can't answer that. Photos are easy to automatically backup online at Dropbox or google+ and can be accessed by the Dropbox app carousel or the built in app photos from google+ so you can delete photos from the phone and access them online.

All that said, the Maxx is a year old next week and there is probably a new model replacing it at some point soon. It may be worth waiting to see at this point.

Welcome to Android Forums.

Adding to what was said ... there are no rumors about the new Droid Maxx but there are rumors about the new Moto X.

Both were released last year with a lot of pre-release leaks about the Moto X and NOTHING about the Droid Maxx.

... Thom

Yep, that's it. You may want to look on swappa if you're looking used.

How much app space does this phone have?

The 32 GB Maxx has 25.5 GB free after a factory reset with Android 4.4.4. I suspect that means the 16 GB Maxx has about 9.5 to 10 GB free when you first turn it on. It's possible that it's more, though. Go to a Verizon store and go to settings / storage to find out for sure. They should have display models still.

Arent motox lack battery I wanted a long batttery with space and it seems like I cant get both.

Right, but the rumors are that the replacement for the Moto X coming at some point this fall is *rumored* to be larger with a larger battery (though likely not as much as the Maxx). It's also probable that there will be a 2014 replacement model for the Droid Maxx that will have a big battery, though nobody knows for sure. Still, you seem to be price sensitive, so I'd say that you should look at either last year's Maxx, maybe on swappa.com for a used 32 GB version, or look at the LG G2 or G3 maybe, if you want battery, or look at a Samsung Galaxy with removable batteries. I love the Maxx myself, and I could probably barely live with the 16 GB version (I have about 16.3 GB free right now, but could clear some space - 1.5 GB of cached data, 500 MB of photos). But I'm comfortable with the 32 GB version. It's fast enough, it lasts long enough for me to not have to worry about plugging in, it has an excellent radio to hold calls in weak signal areas. It's a great phone - last year's hardware, but good enough for me for another year for sure.

Yep, that's it. You may want to look on swappa if you're looking used.

The 32 GB Maxx has 25.5 GB free after a factory reset with Android 4.4.4. I suspect that means the 16 GB Maxx has about 9.5 to 10 GB free when you first turn it on. It's possible that it's more, though. Go to a Verizon store and go to settings / storage to find out for sure. They should have display models still.

Right, but the rumors are that the replacement for the Moto X coming at some point this fall is *rumored* to be larger with a larger battery (though likely not as much as the Maxx). It's also probable that there will be a 2014 replacement model for the Droid Maxx that will have a big battery, though nobody knows for sure. Still, you seem to be price sensitive, so I'd say that you should look at either last year's Maxx, maybe on swappa.com for a used 32 GB version, or look at the LG G2 or G3 maybe, if you want battery, or look at a Samsung Galaxy with removable batteries. I love the Maxx myself, and I could probably barely live with the 16 GB version (I have about 16.3 GB free right now, but could clear some space - 1.5 GB of cached data, 500 MB of photos). But I'm comfortable with the 32 GB version. It's fast enough, it lasts long enough for me to not have to worry about plugging in, it has an excellent radio to hold calls in weak signal areas. It's a great phone - last year's hardware, but good enough for me for another year for sure.

Thanks for the info and advice, im actually more space sensitive. If the maxx had 32gb id take it for sure. My old droid 4 has only 16gb but really only 3gb for apps.

So the maxx only has 9gb of storage room with a 16? Does it have internal storage and does it count towards the 16

It has 16 gb that's shared by everything. System, cache, internal storage - it's all one pool of storage. It's possible that there is 10 to 11 gb free. Like I said, go to a store to find out for sure.

I will def ask the store or purchase the non contract one online if its still avaliable. I just know the cpu or processing system takes up plenty of memory and space and the preloaded apps.

I will def ask the store or purchase the non contract one online if its still avaliable. I just know the cpu or processing system takes up plenty of memory and space and the preloaded apps.

Don't confuse working system memory with storage memory.

If you'll pardon the analogy...

System memory is like a sandbox where you play with the toys. Storage memory is like the shelves you store them in until you take them to the sandbox to play with them.

The Droid Maxx has 2Gb ( 2048 Mb ) of working system memory. The 16/32Gb is the amount of storage space it has to keep the OS and apps in until they are opened up into the system memory.

Don't confuse working system memory with storage memory.

If you'll pardon the analogy...

System memory is like a sandbox where you play with the toys. Storage memory is like the shelves you store them in until you take them to the sandbox to play with them.

The Droid Maxx has 2Gb ( 2048 Mb ) of working system memory. The 16/32Gb is the amount of storage space it has to keep the OS and apps in until they are opened up into the system memory.

So bottom line how much space will I have after I turn on phone in your mind? can i possibly put apps on google drive and it will still work on phone

So bottom line how much space will I have after I turn on phone in your mind? can i possibly put apps on google drive and it will still work on phone

In my mind... I've got unlimited app space... :D

In reality, you've already been given a good answer for that as close as can be at least.

I don't believe it. My droid maxx has the best signal, best battery life, and best general performance of any Android phone I've had so far. Plus, the active display feature is so amazingly useful I've started worrying what I'll do when I get a phone that doesn't have it.

I've had it since the morning it was released.

It is the best phone I have ever had. Battery. Call quality. Signal. Construction. Wireless charging. NO carrier logo plastered on the front.

Touchless control seems stupid when you hear about it ... after using it for a day you'll wonder how you worked without it.

... Thom

I've had it since the morning it was released.

It is the best phone I have ever had. Battery. Call quality. Signal. Construction. Wireless charging. NO carrier logo plastered on the front.

Touchless control seems stupid when you hear about it ... after using it for a day you'll wonder how you worked without it.

... Thom

Yep to all these things. This was my first Moto phone and I'm sold.

Back
Top Bottom