• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Ultra Maxx (not maxx 2) battery replacement issue

RonNYC

Lurker
I have a Droid Ultra MAXX. The battery is dead. Will not charge at all. So, cannot turn it on. I found that I can, perhaps, get a battery on line and install it myself. Since the phone is currently DOA, this is a minor risk. When I search for Droid Ultra Maxx batteries I get listings for the XT1080, among others. What specific # of battery should I look for? I get several titled "Eu20 2130mah Replacement Battery For Motorola Droid Ultra Xt1080" but I am unsure.

Any help is appreciated.

RON

The ultra and max were essentially the same phone with only a difference in battery size and wireless charging (maxx yes, ultra no.) The Ultra (xt1080) had the 2150 battery, the maxx (xt1080m) has a 3500 mah battery. The ultra battery will work in the maxx, but obviously will have reduced battery capacity.

Sorry, I don't know part numbers, but I'd try searching for xt1080m.

By the way, the phone was not called the "ultra maxx". There were two phones - the Droid Ultra and the Droid Maxx.

Also by the way - the casing on the Droid Maxx lists the model number as xt1080, but the actual model number of the maxx is xt1080m, to distinguish it from the ultra.

Where is that listed on the casing on the Droid Maxx? I cannot remember and cannot find it on my Maxx.

It is the label on the box the Droid Maxx came in ... MOTOXT1080M

... Thom

Last edited:
On the original Droid Maxx 32 GB phone, it is printed on the bottom, beneath the Verizon logo and the EU CE certification number, in very fine print.

I should note that the original 32 GB Maxx was replaced in May 2014 with a 16 GB model with different casing; I've never seen it and don't know if the model number printed is the same.

17d6b1c07df6da46de9c19ecdd79ecbf.jpg

Note: I moved this thread from the Droid Maxx 2 forum to the Droid Maxx forum. Hopefully somebody who has done a battery replacement will see this and reply...

I finally found it on the case of my 32GB Maxx. It is VERY worn in that spot and manipulating the light under a magnifying glass resulted in XT1080.

The box it came in of course says XT1080M.

For battery replacement the M is very important.

We still don't know if he has an Ultra or a Maxx.

... Thom

They were both cross compatible correct? ie, you can put a MAXX battery in an Ultra and it would report that it was a MAXX...?

They were both cross compatible correct? ie, you can put a MAXX battery in an Ultra and it would report that it was a MAXX...?

I believe that the casing for the Ultra is too thin to fit the Maxx battery.

But, software wise, they were the same phone.

I swear I read back when the MAXX was new, that someone discovered you could put a MAXX battery in an Ultra and it would "think" it was a maxx and report as such under About This Phone. Simply using a MAXX back cover solved the fitment issue.
Still have my MAXX, tempted to jump to the Turbo2 but never did. Kind of mad at moto for not updating the MAXX as promised... Not sure I want to give them more of my $$.

I swear I read back when the MAXX was new, that someone discovered you could put a MAXX battery in an Ultra and it would "think" it was a maxx and report as such under About This Phone. Simply using a MAXX back cover solved the fitment issue.
Yes, I think you're right.

Some more helpful info:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Motorola+DROID+MAXX+Battery+Replacement/33737
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Battery-Compatible-Motorola-XT1080m/dp/B00KAWJ2DO

(I can't endorse that last link, but it *looks* right.)

Back