• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X2 prepaid question

m21out

I was looking through Verizon prepaid online and I saw the droid X2. I want that phone but it was 300 bucks so I checked amazon to see if they had it for cheaper. They said it was 1 cent with an individual plan and they didn't have an option for prepaid, this may sound silly but can an individual plan count as a prepaid plan or are they two seperate things?

I was looking through Verizon prepaid online and I saw the droid X2. I want that phone but it was 300 bucks so I checked amazon to see if they had it for cheaper. They said it was 1 cent with an individual plan and they didn't have an option for prepaid, this may sound silly but can an individual plan count as a prepaid plan or are they two seperate things?

The individual plan is a 2yr contract. You are able to get the discount on the phone by signing the contract which includes something like a $300 early termination fee (plus Amazon will then charge you full retail for the phone so the other 299.99).

Prepaid X2 is the route I took at first. Well, at first I had it flashed to Cricket, but that was a huge hassle and didn't work quite 100% (I flashed it myself, so...), so took it over to Verizon. Got my X2 a month old and like brand new for about $225 on ebay. I'm on the Strat now, though, and only use my X2 for games for my daughter in the car. If you don't want a contract, and don't want to pay much of anything for a phone, you might check out Cricket or Metro PCS or something, look around and see if any of their phones catch your eye. Verizon's prepaid plans are around $100 for smartphones, while prepaid is almost half that. Before you buy, you might also check out if you can flash a high-end phone that you like to work on a prepaid network with good coverage in your area. Big savings there.

I just bought a manufacturer refurbed Droid X2 for $150 on eBay. It's now active on Page Plus, which you might want to check out.

I just bought a manufacturer refurbed Droid X2 for $150 on eBay. It's now active on Page Plus, which you might want to check out.

I checked out Page Plus. The highest data plan was the $55 one, and that maxed out at 500 mb per montyh, w/ 10 cents per mb over that. That's not much if you use your phoe daily. I don't use a lot of data, but I go over that every month. Even using WiFi as much as possible, I still need a min of 1 gb.

I checked out Page Plus. The highest data plan was the $55 one, and that maxed out at 500 mb per montyh, w/ 10 cents per mb over that. That's not much if you use your phoe daily. I don't use a lot of data, but I go over that every month. Even using WiFi as much as possible, I still need a min of 1 gb.

They have a "double your data" promotion available through the end of February, and the data doubling expires at the end of 2012. Maybe that helps?

I've never gone over 500MB in a month. I understand that puts me in the minority, but it still tends to cloud my thinking.

Yeah, double would get me by. That puts the plan more in line with other prepaids. I may be on Verizon now, but as soon 4G prepaid is available in my area, I'm taking that route. No plan + big monthly savings = win.

Back