• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DVD theory..

If only there were some way to retrofit an 8-track stereo into a 2005 Saturn. One day I hope to find the old '70s vehicles I covet, but I still fear they all got cash-for-clunkered (I hate you, Obama)

I don't belong in this era, I belong in the '50s. I want to live then, and see cars from that time as I drive. I don't want to see all the homogenized vehicles I see now, all grey, white and black, or silver, with those annoying blue HIDs or the most annoying being those 'DRL LED bars'. I hate LEDs so much.

I want somehow to find a way to live a '50s life where everything I see and do isn't ruined by people using smartphones or seeing newer vehicles. I want to live that life and never see anything modern. At least, in the '50s people had the sense to wait until dusk to turn their freaking headlights on, and they weren't supernova bright either. I just have to accept that I can't have it all consistent. I know areas to shop and get gas that have really old stores, really old gas pumps, and that's something, but I need to find that '76 Cordoba or '78 LTD. I want that cloud ride, cars made of metal, not plastic. Engines that sound like beasts not whatever tinny little lawnmower engine is in my Saturn. Sadly, if Biden gets his way, I might not be able to even have the Saturn by 2025. I don't have any interest in a self-driving car (not at least, until it can look like a special 1982 Trans Am that speaks in the voice of William Daniels) much less one with screens in my face, forced software updates, my drives being monitored by who knows whom, and having my range limited to where I can't drive to see my girl anymore (she lives 540 miles away, long past the range of any EV)
When the 4 track and 8 track players first came out, they came with a carriage that you mounted under the dash and then mount the player to the carriage. They were easy to mount and easily stolen. Mounting the stereo speakers in old cars was the difficult part of the installation. The fifties and early sixties cars were all metal and weren't designed to accommodate speakers. It took a lot of drilling, hacking, and filing to make six inch holes in the rear deck of a 57 Olds. :)

Upvote 0
Back then as you said 8 track players were easily stolen. I had a Craig 8 track player I mounted in my car back then
I only lost one player but my bilbo box full of tapes was ripped off three times.

Years after 8 tracks were history I stopped at a garage sale on my way home from work. They had a cardboard box full of 8 tracks and I stopped and was looking at them. The lady running the sale noticed and came by my side and said if you are interested in the tapes, I'll make you a heck of a deal. I smiled and said well I've got a heck of a deal for you. I walked to my car, opened the trunk, found my box of 8 tracks and walked back and set them on table beside her box and said.. now you greater variety to sell and walked off.

I still have an 8 track recorder somewhere. I would copy some of my favorite vinyl onto 8 track at a savings.

Upvote 0
I believe most car 8-track players were intended to be mounted under the dash, either on a carriage or fixed bracket. With relatively few standard DIN sized units intended for the DIN radio slot in the dash.

8track.jpg

Of course most of them are around 50 years old now, and so may need servicing to make them play as they should, like replacing duff electrolytic capacitors, perished rubber belts, cracked and fractured plastic parts, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones