• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dynamic Variable Name Request

Brian Berry

I'm developing gaming apps and it has come to my attention that Java and Kotlin don't offer dynamic variable names. I looked it up and it's just not supported by Java or Kotlin. dynamic variable names like
var["dynamic id"]="variable value";.......would cut my coding time and code footprint in half. Although it's not allowed I'd like to request it be added to Java and Kotlin. I looked around but I can't find the appropriate place to request this feature. I'm surprised it's not available because it was available in Flash ActionScript 7 years ago.

Where do I request features to be added?

I wouldn't hold out any hope for this feature being added to the language. It's a bad step because it goes against Java's strong type safety, and compile time syntax checking. Adding such a dynamic feature would introduce all kinds of run time errors and unpredictable behaviour. A very bad situation. Dynamic behaviour like this may be very convenient, but it doesn't lend itself to robust, maintainable, and reliable code.

Back
Top Bottom