• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Easy root for .28 firmware users

JAy3001

Android Expert
First off, this post if just for info as this is not in anyway my work. But huge thanks to miloj & sparkym3 for their hard work. :) :smokingsomb:

Standard issue do's:
Do have Asus Sync force closed/disabled on the tablet/PC,
Do have Splashtop force closed/disabled on the tablet,
Do have "Install from unknown sources" switched on,
Do have "USB debugging" turned on,
Do have the Primes device drivers installed.

The post I am going to quote is sparkym3's automated method, based upon miloj's manual method which can be found below.

miloj's original post:
Rooting the TF300T *without* downgrading (from .29) - xda-developers

sparkym3's original post:
[ROOT][TOOL]Debugfs automated root [08/12/2012] - xda-developers

After having to send my prime back for a faulty camera I had to un-root which left me stuck on the .28 update with no root. But following this method I was back rooted within 5 minutes! :)

It should be noted once you have rooted you may need to reboot once more to get root, but I also recommend you run Superuser before running any root apps as you need to confirm a dialog box on startup before SU will accept any root requests.

Again, note that this is not my work and you perform these actions at your own risk. For support and updates follow the original posts.

[ROOT][TOOL]Debugfs automated root [08/12/2012]
This tool will root your device based on the debugfs root method developed by miloj.

Just download and unzip everything into a directory; then run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory (if you do not currently have the device drivers for your transformer, they are attached to this post, please install them, please use them to install your device before attempting the process).

Neither ADB nor the SDK need to be installed as all needed files are included in the attachments below (though it won't hurt anything if they are).

Helpful tip:
If you get a "Segmentation Fault" error after "Testing Superuser...", go ahead and say yes to the message so that it will continue to install the superuser.apk and it should still root the device. If you already said no to the question and you are reading this after the fact, you can also just go download superuser from the market and all should be good.

It should look familiar since I took PrimeTime and gutted it, only keeping the menu options. Thanks to viperboy for that.

Original post is in the TF300 thread, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1704209

UPDATE 6/12/2012:
v1.1 - Added donation link for miloj
v1.2 - Fixed bug that caused it to stop while doing "debugfs", to cancel press Ctrl+c
v1.3 - Fixed bug where the id is not returned from the su test
v1.4 - Fixed bug introduced with v1.3
v1.5 - Fixed bug where you don't have to push the apk before calling install

6/13/2012
v1.6 - Fixed messaging (this is a cosmetic change)
v1.7 - Added a remove call on su prior to rooting for those who had root previously and it not longer works
v1.8 - Change the octal permissions to be 6755 instead of 4755

7/2/2012
v1.9 - Update superuser app and binary to the latest version available
XDA uploads are not working currently so I have uploaded the new version to here for now
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...5E3CE960E5!221

8/5/2012
v2.0 - Updated to include a kill for Asus sync as that seemed to be the biggest issue.
I have also made it more generic so that it can root more devices with the same util. This is done by scanning for the system partition automatically, thanks to rightonred for that suggestion. With the attachment labeled "generic" I have removed all asus references and drivers since they were causing issues with me being able to attach the zip to xda. Anybody who needs the drivers can download them from asus or from another xda post.
v2.1 - Added a pause while waiting for the device to restart to alleviate that nuisance.
v2.2 - Added message to ignore "File not found" message when trying to delete old su versions. Also updated message with the generic locations of settings on the tablet.

8/12/2012
v2.3 - Update su binary file (hopefully it may help some of the people with superuser app issues)

ASUS drivers can be downloaded from the ASUS site but some are not provided other than through the sync install. I have extracted out the drivers from that sync install and attached them to this post. These drivers will support most of the Asus Eee Pad family including TF101, TF201, TF300, TF700, ME171(MeMO), A66(Padfone), SL101(Slider), and a couple others.

No longer need a PadFone specific root util as the generic one should work for it as well.

Here is a version I put together for the Gallexy SII (but the generic one attached here should work fine)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...87&postcount=3

Latest Supported Versions:
v9.2.1.27 for the TF101 (ICS 4.0.3)
v9.2.2.6 for the TF101G (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.2.28 for the TF201 (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.4.3.30 for the TF300T (ICS 4.0.3)
v9.4.4.40 for the TF300TG (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.5.26 for the TF700T (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.18.8.41 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.3)

These are the latest supported versions as far as I know, if I get any further input I will update this post.

Unknown
v10.4.2.9 for the TF300T (JB 4.1)

Reported UNsupported Versions
v9.20.1.22 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.4)

Attachments

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!!!!!!!!!
I rooted my Prime tonight. It was as easy as they described.
Can't wait to tweak it a bit and maybe get it running well.

I will make a donation to one or both of the gents who made this possible!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!!!!!!!!!
I rooted my Prime tonight. It was as easy as they described.
Can't wait to tweak it a bit and maybe get it running well.

I will make a donation to one or both of the gents who made this possible!

Not a problem Rafael. It really is as easy as plugging your prime into your PC, running the .bat file and follow the instructions. Done in a few minutes. (Providing you have your PC setup already)

Back
Top Bottom