• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Effects of Rooting?

thisisnascar

If I root my Razr Maxx, should I expect to have to re-do any settings or have to reinstall any applications? From all the videos I've watched, the only difference to the eye is that I should see Superuser present. Everything else stays/works the same, without intervention. Is that the really the case?

Rooting and unrooting is simple. Use Matts utility and you can do either. The only thing rooting does it give you super user permissions. If you don't mess with anything after rooting, then nothing changes. But you can brick your phone if you mess with the wrong things. Make sure to read, read and read some more. Once you have it memorized, read it again lol. Just to be safe. I use root only to freeze bloatware and perform backups. I also use to use it for screen shots, but that is a standard feature on ICS. Oh I also use root to block ads on free apps. I don't flash roms or mess with anything I don't know about(which is almost everything)

When you root, Superuser is added. No settings are changed.
When you unroot, Superuser is removed. No settings are changed.

Make sure you reset anything you have done while rooted i.e. froze bloatware. I don't know what happens if you unroot with things still frozen but I would imagine they'd stay that way forcing you to reboot, defrost everything, unroot.

I have a question in regards to this. I've been rooted for about 3 months now and my signal seems to have been affected, especially in regards to data usage.

I seem to have intermitant DNS issues. IE pages load half way and then get stuck. It happens both on tether and on my phone.

I talked to VZW and they told me that I get my updates via push to my sim card.

Does rooting prevent these pushes?

Back
Top Bottom