• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Event re-boots itself several times a day

GlenAM

Love this little phone, but aggravating, several times a day it will just reboot itself, a couple of times in the middle of a call.

Anybody have similar experience??
Thanks,
g

I've owned my EVENT for about 2 months now and it's never rebooted itself on it's own. I have had a couple freezes forcing a battery reset, but it always happens after the phone has been charging awhile and I'm trying to close out a Chrome tab or open something else, so I'm chalking it up to a lazy app or a software conflict.

As far as yours is concerned, are you sure you aren't holding a button down or pressing something inadvertently? Maybe your battery is loose or not firmly seated? Have you ever dropped the phone or damaged it? My old phone (non android, talking 5 years old) over time developed a loose board/battery connection and if the phone was flexed it'd either reboot itself or shut off. I'd look at your settings and make sure you aren't pressing the power button or something. Worse case, Radioshack has a sale right now and you can get a new one for $14. Have fun reactivating though as it took me 2 days to get mine activated.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,
I've googled the Event re-booting, and found amongst other owners this is not an uncommon problem. It does it several times a day no matter where it is at, laying on my dresser, in a hoodie pocket, etc. It is 1 of 2 cells I carry at all times, since the att alcatel can't connect to my email accts for notifications. Also use it for bluetooth conx to provide an old offsite Dell for internet/email connectivity. All in all I like the little fone, but, RS $14 is almost too good to pass up.
thanks again

Yeah, maybe you just got a bad phone or an app is conflicting or misbehaving? I have the screen lock on (I use the connect the dots screen lock) and have the power button press once = screen off but phone on, and it's never rebooted on it's own. It's usually on the charger over night and often I leave Grooveshark on and playing my music playlist over night and never have issues. I never installed the Essentials ID pack and continually stop it from manage apps, and have manually disabled some services (non rooted). I've disabled:
Gmail
Google Play Book
Google Play Magazine
Google Play Movie
Google Play Music
Market Feedback
My Uploads
Talk
Talkback
Youtube

RS had the phone for $20 for awhile, but a recent pull up online shows $14. Even if the $14 is a today/tomorrow sale only, $20 is still a great price all things considered. If you print a copy of the Radioshack ad and take to Walmart, they should price match it assuming it's in stock, otherwise they want $27 roughly. If yours is still new enough, it might still be under warranty and worth taking back, though for $14 it might be less headache to just replace.

I have 4 of these. I bought 3 at RadioShack, one directly from Virgin Mobile. The three black ones, I have no issues with. The red one I got from RadioShack has been a pain since I bought it and it finally got stuck in a bootloop. I'm going to see if I can't return it or something.

From what I'm reading, the red ones have a lot of issues. The black ones also have issues, but maybe not as much?

I would recommend taking your phone back or exchanging it if you can.

Strange the color would make a difference, anyway, I'm trying to justify a Galaxy S3 to replace both the cells.

Thanks,
g

Just before Christmas, I bought my daughter a Rise at RS for an incredible 20 bucks. That phone is essentially the same as an Event but with a slide-out keyboard. I was, of course, decided to test and set up the phone prior to activating it on Virgin when she got the phone on Christmas day.

I didn't realize it at the time but I screwed up by inadvertently pulling off the entire cover/label from the battery. It seemed at first to be fine but then I started seeing that the thing was just dying or shutting itself off at various times. Worse, it would not turn back on until you removed/replaced the battery. I finally decided to give Kyocera a call and they told me to call Virgin Mobile.

So I did, described my problem, and the tech agreed to send me a new battery. I had not mentioned the thing about the label because, frankly, it hadn't occurred to me that might be a problem. So, the short of it is, that solved the problem and the phone has worked perfectly ever since.

Hope this helps someone resolve their problems with, really I guess, any Virgin Mobile phone.

Back
Top Bottom