• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Factory Data Reset - Wipe Cache Partition

doogald

Extreme Android User
It is worth noting ... prior to 4.4.4 a Factory Data Reset did not touch the cache partition.

I hate to hijack the thread, but, Thom, what's your evidence for this? I think it's impossible that a factory reset would not format the cache partition as well. How did you determine that /cache was untouched?

I could not find it written so I removed it from the previous message.

I just finished a chat with Motorola about the Droid Maxx and they verified that ...

Under 4.4 a Factory Data Reset does not do a Wipe Cache Partition.
Under 4.4.4 a Factory Data Reset does do a Wipe Cache Partition.

I asked where it was documented that I could direct people to. They indicated that it was not documented in what they had published online.

I don't know if the condition is the same for the Moto X.

... Thom

I could not find it written so I removed it from the previous message.

I just finished a chat with Motorola about the Droid Maxx and they verified that ...

Under 4.4 a Factory Data Reset does not do a Wipe Cache Partition.
Under 4.4.4 a Factory Data Reset does do a Wipe Cache Partition.

I don't know if the condition is the same for the Moto X.

... Thom

That was a weird bug then. It was probably benign, because the os was the same so the cache was still applicable, but it's weird that they didn't bother to do a quick reformat of the cache partition as part of the reset.

The Moto X has been off 4.4 for a long time now - since March I think - so I imagine that was fixed in the 4.4.2 update the X received.

There really is no reason why a cache wipe should take so long. The process could just reset the partition table and leave the files intact (but no referenced, so unable to be used, with the sectors marked as free) but they must be doing a file by file erasure to have it take so long.

I do not know what it did on any model before 4.4 or what it did on another model between 4.4 and 4.4.4. The only thing I know is 4.4 to 4.4.4 on the Maxx.

The implications from not doing the wipe when it was assumed by everyone that it was are enormous.

Why it takes so long to wipe now is strange and the fact that no one has offered an explanation is even stranger.

... Thom

Back
Top Bottom