• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Factory reset Event, then re-root if needed

daffyducknj

Android Enthusiast
This may seem like an obvious question to some, but has anyone with a rooted Event factory reset it, and re-rooted it if needed?

I do seem to be coming across more error messages in the last week, and I figured that resetting it might help. I've had the phone for three months now.

Got around to factory resetting it. Took about 2 hours last night. Had to re-root phone. Used techdad378's method for that. Restored around 50 apps from Titanium Backup, so at least I didn't have to reprogram the passwords for the streaming apps. {Reset system setting from notes instead of just restoring them. <--- That's what most ROM devs would recommend when restoring your device.}

While this was going on I used my older LG Optimus V as a phone. It's easy to program the ESID through VMUSA's web site. When my Event was reactivated, the PRL and phone profile settings were automatically updated. The firmware was already updated, so nothing happened on that end.

Doing this freed up about 238 MB of cruft from internal storage! Restoring didn't change the egl fix, so the phone is running on the hardware video drivers, YES!

If you're interested in unrooting the Event, this is the easiest way to do it. :)

If you do want to unroot, make a backup using the MyBackup app BEFORE factory resetting. Titanium doesn't work to restore apps in unrooted phones. You might want to backup your SD card, then reformat/repartition it from a PC (using FAT32). Then gradually add your photos and music while restoring... this is why I took a couple of hours, just to make sure most things were working. Resetting isn't something that can be done too quickly, but is worth it if you're getting too many error messages.

Ironically I didn't get root until I reset. I tried the PC based method and the non-PC method. Neither appeared to work. Did a Factory Reset to Start over and found I had root.

When did you get your phone? Got mine in October.

I've managed to see a few Events in action (with permission) and noticed differences in the included software. The system software seems to be the same, but the bootloaders might be different somehow. Like virtually all Kyocera Android phones AFAIK, the bootloaders are locked.

I bought mine from Radioshack recently. Ordered about 2 weeks ago. They have it on sale for $20 for Virgin's no contract service. I bought 3. One to play with, the other two to root to remove the phone activation prompt and gift to my nephews as media players/youtube streamers around their home.

The odd situation I'm in now is that I don't know what worked. Both Methods did not seem to grant root but doing a reset seemed to enable it. Now my next step is to figure out what I need to block so the phone doesn't keep trying to activate phone service on boot.

Back
Top Bottom