• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Failed to restore chat data to new phone. What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterton

I help a friend to transfer chat data to new phone.
I copied the GBWhatsapp folder to the PC. Then connected the new phone to the PC.
I clicked on the "internal storage" drive. Then pasted the GBWhatsapp folder.

I installed the app. Opened it. Clicked on restore.
Error message: Can't find any backup in 'sdcard/GBWhatsapp'.

I inserted an sd card to the new phone. Then connected to the PC.
I clicked on the "sd card" drive. Then pasted the GBWhatsapp folder.
The same error message popped up.

I browsed the directory using a file explorer app.
The sd card folder is named as some id (like 1234-5AB6) instead of sdcard.
I tried to rename it as "sdcard" but failed.

What's up? Why didn't the app find any backup?
Please help. Thank you.

Is the backup on the internal storage or still on your sd card? If it's on the sd card it might not be able to read it from there.

If the app is still on the old phone.. did you try backing that up to google drive as per the instructions above, and transfering it that way?

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/20887921/

Such option does not exist.

Menu > Settings > Chats > Chat backup
When I clicked on "Chat backup", a local backup was created.
I don't think Google drive method works since it checks the integrity of the app or the like before restoration.

Thank you for everyone who tried to help. I finally made it. I'm not certain the necessary steps involved. I list everything that I tried.
  1. Uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Do NOT open it. If GBWhatsapp folder is created, rename it to some other name. Copy your backup folder of GBWhatsapp to the main directory of Internal Storage.
  2. Open GBWhatsapp. Then open a file browser app. Check to see if it changes the name of your backup folder (just in case if it did. You undo it).
  3. Copy your backup folder of GBWhatsapp to the main directory of SD card too. (might be unnecessary).
  4. I turned on all permissions of the app, instead of some.
  5. I went straight to verify the number without pressing "restore" or "copy whatsapp data".
  6. After verifying, the app detected the backup and asked me to restore. That's it.
What a headache to help a friend
whew.png
. It took me many hours. He owes me a good dinner. Haha...
grin.png

Last edited:
Thank you for everyone who tried to help. I finally made it. I'm not certain the necessary steps involved. I list everything that I tried.
  1. Uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Do NOT open it. If GBWhatsapp folder is created, rename it to some other name. Copy your backup folder of GBWhatsapp to the main directory of Internal Storage.
  2. Open GBWhatsapp. Then open a file browser app. Check to see if it changes the name of your backup folder (just in case if it did. You undo it).
  3. Copy your backup folder of GBWhatsapp to the main directory of SD card too. (might be unnecessary).
  5. I went straight to verify the number without pressing "restore" or "copy whatsapp data".
  6. After verifying, the app detected the backup and asked me to restore. That's it.
whew.png
grin.png
In my new phone is not restoring it says google play services not on your device but its available and running fine and after that its waiting and waiting uploading snapshot also plz help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190607-183202.jpg
    Screenshot_20190607-183202.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 817
I help a friend to transfer chat data to new phone.
I copied the GBWhatsapp folder to the PC. Then connected the new phone to the PC.
I clicked on the "internal storage" drive. Then pasted the GBWhatsapp folder.

I installed the app. Opened it. Clicked on restore.
Error message: Can't find any backup in 'sdcard/GBWhatsapp'.

I inserted an sd card to the new phone. Then connected to the PC.
I clicked on the "sd card" drive. Then pasted the GBWhatsapp folder.
The same error message popped up.

I browsed the directory using a file explorer app.
The sd card folder is named as some id (like 1234-5AB6) instead of sdcard.
I tried to rename it as "sdcard" but failed.

What's up? Why didn't the app find any backup?
Please help. Thank you.
Thanks its work after 2 days of buffring thanks

Thanks its work after 2 days of buffring thanks
please i'm still having the same issue o, please i need help, i've uninstall, renamed the gbwhatsapp in the internal memory, even copied to the sdcard, turned on all permission, but stiil no good, what do i do?

whew.png
grin.png

please i'm still having the same issue o, please i need help, i've uninstall, renamed the gbwhatsapp in the internal memory, even copied to the sdcard, turned on all permission, but stiil no good, what do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom