• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fennec for Android

I'm intrigued and would love to try this out on the emulator or something, but looks like the download requires a user name and password, so...

Welcome to the forum! :D

That's quite a gift you bring us. Not that I personally am going to use it on my humble Galaxy, but it's great to see it done! :)
icon14.gif

I'm intrigued and would love to try this out on the emulator or something, but looks like the download requires a user name and password, so...

Username and password is on the download page.

I could not download it to my phone (using either the stock 2.1 browser or Dolphin), so I just downloaded it to my PC and will give it a shot in a few...

The Username and password are on the download page.
User: fennec
Password: android

Feel free to test it.

Thank for your reply.
Martin

Ooh, right, sorry. Got befuddled by the German, I guess.

I'll try this on my N1. Let's see how much space it takes up with apps2sd.

Update: loaded up the app and got as far as "Launch." Hit it and my phone proceeded to hang. Might have something to do with the fact that I have apps2sd, so all apps run from the SD card (though some data's generated and put in internal storage), which might have affected it.

Right, it sort of works, but I can't really do much of anything (can't even input a URL, alas). Probably device incompatibility.

I took the liberty of posting it at xda-developers. Hope you don't mind! One of the posters there gave this feedback:

Installed it on my Droid, works. It's kinda slow, but it works. My phone hung the first time running it, but after a reboot it ran faster than I thought it would run [which was still slow for everyday use.] Nice interface though, I thought it would be harder to use than it actually was. What's nice is it has the popup for unresponsive javascript scripts that let you stop executing them.

So I guess if you've got a Milestone/Droid, it should do pretty well. :)

You would not have fun with your Nexus One :)
Software keyboard doesn't work now.
But you were able to install and lunch fennec on your N1?

Martin

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I saw this on Gizmodo:

http://m.gizmodo.com/site?t=Br4z6ePUATGl7Zp6e-LjCA&sid=gizmodo

Just installed it on my stock 2.0.1 Droid.

I really like the direction it's heading, but this is really an alpha release. It's interesting to see the user interface in person, but that's about all I got out of this release.

Looking forward to seeing a beta!

This is great to hear. I'm not going to try it quite yet, but will be very anxious to hear of updates and try it out soon!

I attempted to download this on my Droid running stock 2.0.1 but received a message saying "Download unsuccessful." I know other people have this running on the Droid, does anybody know what is causing this problem?

Every time I hit the Launch button, the screen goes black and then just returns to my home screen. I've rebooted several times but Fennec will never open. Anyone else having this problem? :(

Moto Droid
Cyanogen 5.0.5.3
Bekit 1300LV Kernel

03_25_fennecD.apk

Installs: Yes
Launch Button: Yes
Runs: No. System hangs - requires battery pull to restart

03_25_firefoxD.apk

Installs: Yes
Launch Button: Yes
Runs: No. Black screen only. (Does not hang the system.)

Thanks for your testing,
I wouldn't use the Debug apks but they run on my milestone too.
I get a black screen if I open the keyboard of my milestone. Try to put the keyboard in, kill geckoapp if it runs in the background and start again. I only test it with milestone 2.01.

Martin

When I tried it on my Droid last night, I got a black screen for some time. If you set you phone down and wait it out (this worked after reboot), it worked fine. It's definitely laggy, but I think that can be fixed. I was able to browse web pages, etc...All worked fine. I kinda hoped this would have the flash plug in that **I thought** Fennec came with on other phones, but no luck. Great effort though Martin! I'm sure it will be running better given time...

Hi,
maybe it is interesting for you.
I compile Fennec for Android.
It is running on my Motorola Milestone.
I made 2 Videos and a site with further information.

YouTube - Fennec for Android on Motorola Milestone
YouTube - Fennec for Android on Motorola Milestone Addons
Startseite (sorry for german site :))

Martin

No need to be sorry for the German site. Since I am in Bayern its cool with me :) Kein problem mit diese Deutsche startseite. Ich wohne im Bayern so alles ok.

Back
Top Bottom