• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

File browser: can you create shortcuts?

oifla

hello all,

wondering about shortcuts with the Nougat file browser. 1) is it possible to create a shortcut for the file browser itself? (rather than going settings > storage> explore). 2), specifically, I would like to create a shortcut for a particular folder on my home screen (say Music), can that be done? thanks!

Unfortunately, no.

You can use the free QuickShortcutMaker app to create a shortcut to the Recent or Downloads views within the stock file manager (it will be labeled Files and "com.android.documentsui" in the app), but you can't create a shortcut to a directory.

You can create a shortcut to any folder you like with any number of third-party file manager apps. I personally like Solid Explorer (paid), but the free File Manager from Asus is also a solid option.

Thanks

Wow, what a huge oversight - neither one of these options would seem to be too difficult to build in!

My guess is that Google doesn't really see the need for users to use the file explorer - and instead let apps manage their storage space as they need to. (Example: Want to edit/view photos? Use the Photos app)

But that's the beauty of Android - there are often many third party options, that will do what you need (and more).
It is hard for a manufacturer to know exactly what all its customers will want, so one option would be to go barebones (as Google did with the file explorer), and let folks use a third party option if they need.

My guess is that Google doesn't really see the need for users to use the file explorer - and instead let apps manage their storage space as they need to. (Example: Want to edit/view photos? Use the Photos app)
That's exactly right.

The file explorer component started as just a simple file picker. Want to attach a file to an email? Here, use this basic picker... It was eventually added to the Settings > Storage view as a way to help users clean up their storage without installing a third-party app, but it was never meant to be an all-purpose file manager.

There are dozens of great alternative file managers on the market with far greater capabilities anyway. If you have a regular need to manage the files on your Android device, chances are that you're a bit of a power user and would be better served by a purpose-built file manager.

Back
Top Bottom